Chapter Twelve

Florence:

I was lying there, wondering dramatically why my life was so boring right now. It was Spring break, I was supposed to be out doing stuff with my friends but of course, they were all busy tonight. Charlotte was sick, which explained her absence from school all last week. Kevin was out of town with his Dad and Emma was apparently trapped in her house because it was Holy Saturday and she had very strict, very catholic parents keeping her locked up at home.

Just then, my phone buzzed.

Eric: Hiya Flo, I'm bored and I need something to do. Want to come for a spin in my Porsche.;) I laughed at his final words and texted him back.

Me: Although the offer sounds very tempting, your car is far from a Porsche, so no thanks. My phone beeped instantly after I sent the text.

Eric: It's a good thing that I wasn't asking. I'll pick you up at 10. I grinned at my screen and then sprung up from my bed to get ready after looking at the time, it was 9:46pm. I got undressed out of my pajamas and put on dark ripped jeans and a pink top. I ruffled my untamed hair and decided it was better to just leave it as it was.

After I was done making myself look as presentable as possible, I headed downstairs with my shoes and leather jacket in hand. My dad was sitting down on the couch watch TV so I plopped down beside him and began tying my laces.

"Where are you off to?" he eyed me with curiosity.

"I'm just going out with a friend." I said as I put on my other shoe.

"Who? It's getting late." I wondered whether it would be okay to just tell him who I was going with, I'm sure it would be fine wouldn't it?

"Do you know Eric that lives around the corner from us?" he looked like he was trying to picture his face.

"The Montgomery's boy?" he asked me and I nodded quickly, hearing Eric's horn honking outside now.

"Yeah dad, I'll be fine. I promise." I looked at him with pleading eyes and could tell he was trying to make a decision.

"Sure Florence, just don't be home too late okay?" he said before looking back at the TV again.

"I won't. Bye dad." I said before jumping up and walking out the door.

"See you." I heard him say just before I closed the door behind me.Eric was waiting outside my door in his car. It was getting warmer as the days went on and tonight was pretty warm, he had all of the windows down. I opened the door on the passenger side and hopped in to buckle my seat belt.

"Eric." I said curtly and looked straight ahead.

"Florence." He played along and nodded his head. We both laughed and he began driving.

"So where are we going?" I asked as I put the radio on.

"Wherever you want, I was thinking we could just drive around and stop at an IHOP on the way home, it's kind of our shitty tradition isn't it?" I hit his arm and glared at him.

"It is not shitty, I love pancakes." He chuckled.

"I know, I'm joking Flo. I love pancakes too."We talked and drove for about an hour before we pulled over at the side of the road beside some field that was probably farmland. We got out and looked behind the fence into the big grassland; there were a lot of cows lying around. I leaned my arms on the fence and rested my chin in them as I looked.

"You want to go in?" Eric asked from beside me. I turned to him, the pale moonlight hitting his face. I couldn't help but grin.

"No way. What if we get caught?"