Darkness Falls 2 (Chapter 2)

Stan and his brother are in the front of the shop setting up a collage of photos Mabel had scrap booked together of her pet Billkin. "I think it is too glittery." Stan mumbles.

"Well I like it." Ford says with a smirk. "It's delightful and sparkly."

The two hear the car outside and both of them share a glance before looking out a nearby window to see that a 1966 impala had pulled into the parking area. "Tourists?" Ford questions.

"Suckers." Stan smirks. "Wendy!"

Wendy rushed over dropping a box of t-shirts she had been folding. "Yes?"

"There." Stan points at the two guys as they exit the car and begin to head up toward the shack.

She nods with her hand on her chin. "Oh 1966 Chevy. That's a hotrod alright." she chuckles. "Those two are kind of cute too."

"Focus." Stan mumbles. "Money."

She nods. "Alright I got it." she says walking over to meet the two at the door.

Ford raises an eyebrow. "What? do you only speak in one word sentences now?"

Stan shakes his head. "Let's go down stairs."

"you don't want to wait?" Ford asks.

"She can handle it." Stan says dismissively. The true reason he was leaving the sales floor was because he had a tendency to scare people away with his 'charm' if you could call it that.

Wendy opens the door. "Welcome to the mystery shack home of the odd, spooky, and weird no refunds. Are you new in town or just passing through?"

The two exchange a glance and Jean shrugs. "Passing through I suppose." He looks around the shop from the door. "Odd sort of place you have here," he says. "What sort of things do you sell?"

Devon enters and begins looking around. "Very peculiar." He notes all the clearly fake merchandise and finds that some of the stuff was actually real things but he wasn't sure if the person who had built the display had actually seen the creatures.

"We sell photos, paintings, bumper stickers, trinkets and t-shirts." Wendy says. "If it's odd we sell it. If it's weird we got it."

Devon stops at the pictures of Mabel with her pet Billkin. "So one of those is here?" he puzzles for a moment. "Jean, come look at this."

Jean walks away from Wendy but she follows him to the pictures. "What is this?" he asks her.

"Oh this is Mabel Pines and her pet duck thing." Wendy says. "They couldn't be in today because they went to her friend's house so we hung up the pictures instead."

"Where did she find this creature?" Jean asks.

Wendy raises a curious eyebrow. "Why does it matter?"

"Why are you avoiding the question?" Jean questions turning fully towards her. "Where did this young girl find a Billkin."

Wendy pauses for a moment. "In the woods I guess I don't know. She just came home with the egg after taking out the trash one night. We let her keep it because it's adorable."

"You shouldn't keep dangerous creatures around the house." Jean says, glancing at Devon. "But I'm sure this isn't the reason the ticker is going insane. There must be something else."

Devon nods. "There has to be more than a handful of creatures. I'd say at least a dozen." he looks at the photos again. "But even a dozen of these things wouldn't tick 400. There must be other things here too."

Wendy looks between the two of them. "What exactly are you two?"

"That's an odd question." Devon says with a smirk. "Depends on how much you know I suppose."