Chapter 43: Turn to be Brave

A/N: So it has been a REALLY long time since I have last updated. I am sorry about that. Life kept getting in the way of my plans. This portion of the story was difficult for me to write and I thank all of you who patiently waited for me to write it. I tried to make up for it by making it a bit longer than most. Happy reading!

Chapter 43:

How the hell am I supposed to do this?

I had been pondering this question for the last couple of days and now it was now repeating in my brain like a broken record. I stood in the doorway of the living room, staring at the back of the couch that my sister was currently curled up on to watch the television, still unsure of how to even begin to tell her what I had been keeping from her for the last seventy-two hours.

How was I supposed to do this?

How was I going to tell her without her becoming panicked and afraid?

 I had spent the whole day waiting for this particular moment and now that it was here I was even more confused and anxious.

Today had been a day spent in torturous waiting.

Waiting for the Monster to release me from his bed, for him to pack his things, for him to leave this house and waiting to tell my sister something that would probably scar her for the rest of her life.

She was the Alpha's mate. Just thinking about that evil monster made my stomach turn and my hands ball into clammy fists. The suspense from the whole day was building, threatening to smother any resolve I might have left in my tired and werewolf weary body.

My thoughts flickered back to when the Monster had left this afternoon while I was trying to think of a way to start this particular conversation with my baby sister. Chey had still been sleeping the day away and I was back in the kitchen mechanically baking more cookies when the Monster finally had his bag packed to leave for the tribunal. He had cleared his throat as he entered the kitchen, making me glance up from what I was doing to look at him. He wasn't dressed in business clothes like I thought he would have been to be leaving for the Tribunal. Instead he was wearing an old long sleeve shirt and some basketball shorts. He looked more like he was going to go run rather than travel to a formal meeting. Despite his relaxed clothing however, his shoulders were tense as he leaned against the entry way with a duffle bag slung over his shoulder and his jaw was tight as he kept his black emotionless eyes trained on me like it was an obligation. I couldn't help but compare his demeanor now to when I had first seen him in my kitchen so many months ago.

He had been wearing business clothes instead of causal then and his shorter hair had been styled instead of left to hang into his eyes. He had been cocky then, taunting me with his very presence and the underlying purpose of his words. Now he was simply...bland.

His eyes were dull and his facial features held no expression. He looked at me like I was a plain piece of toast that he could not get rid of but he didn't want any part of either. The latter part of that observation I was quite happy with. I was really tired of this Monster wanting something from me.

After tonight he would never get anything from me again.

"I'm leaving." He told me evenly not showing any recognizable emotion or expression. I just nodded and looked back down to the dough I was rolling out on the counter without a word. I didn't need or want to say anything to that. I wasn't even sure I was supposed to say anything in response.

What could I say?

Bye Honey, I'm going to miss you so much!

Bah. Good luck with that. Just the thought of saying something like that to him made me cringe.