Chapter 14: The Royal "We"

A/N: Sorry that this chapter is sort of short. I haven't had a lot of time to write but I wanted to at least put a little up this weekend. Comments and votes are always appreciated! Dedicated to happy63 for commenting on the last two chapters!

Chapter 14

The monster was out of the shower and back in the kitchen only a minute or two after I sobered up from what Kyrie had told me as he was walking out the door. I hadn’t laughed like that in years. I mean really laugh, clutching your stomach and fighting back tears. The image in my head was just too hilarious. He knocked her out with a bed pan?

Wow...just wow.

The monster's eyes latched onto me as soon as he entered the room looking a little disheveled, his hair still dripping wet as if he had rushed to get out of the shower.

“Were you laughing?” he asked immediately, his eyes shining with a hopeful emotion that made the humor I had been feeling dry up.

“No.” I answered my voice sounding confused. I was surprised at how easily the lie slipped from my tongue. The monster’s brow furrowed as he looked at me his chin quivering just slightly. Really? He looked like he was a little kid who had thought that he had heard the ice cream truck only to be told he dreamed it.

“I thought I heard you laughing…it was so beautiful.” He said looking a little perplexed. Beautiful? The way I had been laughing probably sounded like a hyena with pop rocks in its mouth rather than a person.  Beautiful was not a way to describe it.

“You’re delusional.” I whispered. He walked toward the island and took a seat next to me.

“Well what do you want to do today?” he asked a smile still on his face. I heaved a sigh, resisting the urge to roll my eyes.  Somehow I knew that the response, knock you out, somehow figure out how to get rid of the tracer on my foot, get the hell out of this town and never see another werewolf again, would not go over well.

I shrugged.

“What do you do on a normal Saturday?” he asked, trying to pry something out of me I guess.

“I work on weekends.” I informed him. His eyes narrowed but his smile didn’t fade.

“Well what did you do on your days off?” he asked.

I looked at him like he had grown a second head.

Days off?

Human labor laws passed last year were supposed to give lower district humans a day off once a week but my supervisor always just made us clock in under another person’s name. We didn’t get days off. Everyone knew that the law was just a joke.  

“I didn’t get off days.” I eventually replied. His brow furrowed further, the smile slipping.

“Where did you work?” he asked.

“The plastics plant on the east side of low district.”

“What did you do there?” he asked sounding even more confused. Shouldn’t he know this? I thought that he would have looked all this up like the obsessive monster he was.

“I worked a plastic cutter.” I replied.

“You what?” he growled, standing up abruptly. I stared at him like he was a crazy person. His fists were clenched and his eyes were widened with rage.

“I worked a plastic cutter?” I repeated talking slowly so his big dumb brain could understand. He reached forward and grabbed my hands before I could finch away.

“Do you know how dangerous those machines are? You could have lost fingers.” He said in a horrified tone, bringing my hands to his lips and kissing my fingers possessively.

I wanted to gag.

Really?

I ripped my fingers out of his grasp and glared at him a furry and fearlessness filling me that made me feel powerful.

“I did not choose where I had to work and what station I was assigned. No one in the lower district is allowed to choose. I would still be in college if it weren’t for the education restriction laws.” I barked at him. His eyes had been angry when I pulled away from him but they softened during my tirade. He sat back down and ran his hands through his hair.

“I’m sorry. My wolf gets angry when he thinks of you in danger. He doesn’t understand why our mate would be assigned to do such a dangerous task.” He admitted.

I frowned. He was making it sound like I was an underwater welder, miner, or some sort of vigilante. I mean I cut plastic all day. Big whoop.

“You are overreacting.” I scolded him and immediately regretted it.  

His face snapped up and his hands were on my shoulders faster than I could move. His eyes were an even darker black and his face looked more like an animal’s than a man’s.

“Mate will not be hurt again. Mate will be safe here with us, raising pups not working with cutters.” The beast growled. I fought to keep the disgust off of my face. I would never be raising his “pups.”

Hell to the no.

He pulled me from my seat and pressed me against the kitchen island just before pressing his lips to mine possessively. I felt numb, the fire of rage fleeing from me like he had thrown water on it. He growled deep in his throat, biting my lip and forcing his tongue down my throat.

It was gross.

It was sick.

It was wrong.

I didn’t love this monster, hell I didn’t even like him. I hated him. And yet I was letting him do this to me. I had to let him do this to me. Anything that did to make him think that I didn’t like it here would make him less trustful, make it impossible for me to escape.

He pulled back, only to lean his forehead against mine.

“Sorry, my wolf made his way out.” He admitted sheepishly, a small smile on his lips.

I just stared at him.

“I’m having a hard time controlling my wolf when we hear about bad things that have happened to you. We are extremely protective of you and it is a foreign feeling that we have not learned to control.” He admitted.

He kept saying “we” instead of “I” or “Me.”

“We” was the delusional human and the bloodthirsty, bat shit crazy monster who both claimed to love me.

It was disturbing. It was wrong.  

“How about we just have a boring Saturday morning. You know, just watch cartoons and sit around in our P.J.’s?” he asked, nuzzling my neck.

I nodded and he smiled before placing a quick kiss on my lips again before pulling me behind him into the living room to watch cartoons.

I used to think that watching funny cartoons could always make me feel better but sitting on a couch for hours cuddled up to a monster who tried to kill me and now wants me to be his puppy mill proved to me how wrong I had been.

There were some thingsin this world that even Scooby Doo and those meddling kids couldn’t fix.