Chapter 45: The Mind of the Monster: Real Nightmares and Fake Realities

A/N: So...long time no update right? I'm sorry. Two jobs + summer courses + graduate record exams = no creative energy. The story is all written in my head...sometimes it just takes a lot of work to get it on the computer. Excuses, excuses I know. Well I decided to not make you wait any longer and go ahead and upload this chapter in parts. So I hope you enjoy Part One and your first glance inside the mind of the Monster. 

Chapter45: The Mind of the Monster: Real Nightmares and Fake Realities  

I was lulled out of sleep by the sound of running water and the echo of a soft melodic voice through the wall of the bed room. My hand automatically reached out across the bed when I awoke, searching for the familiar form that usually occupied the other side. Even though I knew that she was probably in the shower from the sounds coming from the bathroom, the movement was still innate and would happen regardless of what I already knew.

Mate.  

The wolf inside me purred as it listened to the sound of her soft singing coming from the other room. Just like her laugh, her voice was like honey to my ears and I was itching to get closer to the source. I felt myself get up and move to the bathroom door, walking through the unlocked entry and into the room in which my mate was singing. The hot water from the shower created a think steam in the room that intensified her scent even though it made her shape behind the glass blurry. Her back was to me as she scrubbed shampoo through her long dark brown locks and for a moment I just watched her entranced, as I had always been, by her beauty. Olive skin, dark hair and vibrant green eyes that were the windows into a soul that was made for mine. I took a step toward the shower as she turned sideways into the stream again, giving me a view of her rounded silhouette from the fogged up glass. The wolf inside me stirred once again in pride and possessiveness as we looked upon the frame of our very pregnant mate. She was beautiful, she was ours and she was carrying our pup. Life was perfect. This moment was perfect. 

I stepped toward the glass door with a smile on my face, planning on sharing the water with the family I had waited so long to have when the perfect moment turned into a nightmare.

The smell of blood, thick and heavy filled my nose and caused an angry snarl and whine to escape my lips. It was her blood. It was my Juniper's blood. My eyes darted up to her to see her still facing away from me as the water fell but the color of water that pooled beneath her feet was bright red and her skin was turning ashen as she continued to sing.  The song she was now slightly off key and breathy, like she was singing even though she could barely breathe. I reached out toward her desperately, fear taking over both me and my wolf.

"Juniper you're bleeding." I called to her just as I was about to touch her skin. The sound of my voice however did not make her turn to me and seek my safety and help. It made her body jerk away from me unnaturally and a heart shattering scream of pure terror rip from her lips. She crashed against the side of the shower and slumped to the tile floor, shaking uncontrollably.

"Juniper! Juniper!" I called, reaching toward her, only to have her flinch away from my hands and her screams become whimpers of fear. The beast inside me was going crazy, tearing my insides apart at the sight of her fear and her pain, I felt like I was going to be physically sick. "Juniper, what's wrong? Juni-"

But my eyes saw it then, her skin, which had looked so soft and perfect before was ashen and covered in blood. Her side was ripped open by four long gashes, her neck was oozing pus and a wound above her collar bone was bleeding so profusely that her it was like a faucet of red. Her stomach wasn't rounded with a pup, it was sunken in and bones stuck up out of her skin that should never been easily seen.  "Juniper, Oh god, Juniper!" I cried, reaching toward her only to find that my hands were claws and that my claws were dripping with something red that I couldn't understand.  Was it?