Chapter 37: Bakery Hell

A/N: Two updates in one weekend! I think I deserve a medal. I will not update until I get at least 12 votes and 5 comments. Cheers! 

Chapter 37:

In the two weeks and 10 hours that had past almost nothing had changed. The Monster would not touch at me or really even speak to me. He would escort Cheyenne home from school in the afternoon and then leave, not to come back until the morning. He had not slept here. He had not attempted to do anything to me.

So what was he doing?

He wasn't sleeping well that much was for sure. Every time that he came back in the morning the dark circles under his eyes would be deeper and the scowl on his face would be more pronounced. He would only look at me occasionally and his expression when he did it was hard and unreadable, it almost felt like he was forcing himself to look at me. Kyrie was worried about it and so was Carlos.

But they were just as clueless as me.

None of us had ever heard of a werewolf becoming this...detached when it came to their mate. It was like someone had flipped a switch inside of him from the "obsessively love" position to the "obsessively hate" setting in his little dog brain.

While it was sort of comforting that the feeling was mutual now it bothered me on another level. If he could hurt me so badly when he "loved me" what would he do to me now that he didn't. He was a loose cannon. I didn't know what he was thinking.

It scared the crap out of me.

I didn't sleep much.

Every time I closed my eyes I would have nightmares, the fear of those nightmares kept me staring at the ceiling for hours. Staring at the ceiling for hours made me eventually get up and start compulsively baking. At this point the kitchen was littered with more baked goods than could be eaten. There were five different types of cookies, brownies galore, three cakes, four pies and chocolate covered fruit everywhere. It had gotten to the point that even Red would get to full to eat when she came over. I had effectively become the insomniac stress baker who didn't have the stomach to eat a single thing that I baked. Kyrie had even tried to give me sleeping pills but they only kept me asleep during every one of my worst nightmares so I ended up not taking them.

It was like being stuck in a bakery hell. Not even the constant smell of baked goods could calm my paranoia and eventually it even added to it. I needed these last three days to pass quickly or I was sure that I would be put in the nut house right next door to Chey's bat crazy mother.

I was sitting out on the balcony forcing myself to drink some tea at about 1:00 in the afternoon when I heard the doorbell ring through the apartment from the front door. Kyrie had left just a little bit ago so I figured that he must have forgotten something and I got up to open the door without a second thought.

And I should have given a freaking second thought because as soon as I opened the door I wanted to slam it shut. I wanted to slam it shut and push anything heavy I could possibly could in front of it because the man in the doorframe was not Kyrie. It wasn't Carlos, the Monster or the freaking pizza delivery boy.

I knew this...thing without ever meeting it. I was frightened of it without ever having set eyes on him myself.

It was the Alpha.

The Alpha gazed over my petrified and shocked expression with a sinister smile stretching across his face. His dark brown hair fell down to his chin and his coal black eyes made me feel like I was slowly shrinking into a small puddle of "oh shit" at his feet. He was even scarier in person than he was on all the posters that surrounded the lower sector and all of the television warnings that we were forced to watch during breaks. Alpha Argos Steele was just as tall and imposing as Alfred was, taking up the entire doorway with his massive frame but there was something about him that made Alfred look like a big cuddly teddy bear. His gaze wasn't aloof and disinterested like Alfred's, it was direct, cold and straight up malicious. Where Alfred looked at me like a piece of furniture and Sean looked everywhere but at me, the monster in front of me looked like he was a fox in a hen house. He looked down at me in my moment of shocked silence like he was a Cheshire cat, here to screw up your life and enjoy every minute of it.