Chapter 40: Illusions and Determinations

A/N: I know it has been a long time since I last updated but please don't be mad at me! Last week was insane and this week is the dreaded finals week for me. I really shouldn't even be updating now but I decided that in celebration of finishing the first day of finals I would at least write a filler chapter. So here it is. Cheers!

Chapter 40:

Fourteen hours, fifty three minutes and twenty seconds later the Monster finally woke up and got out of bed. I had managed to sleep about three hours during entire episode and I was surprised that I had even managed that.

Every time that the Monster moved in his sleep, every time I felt him take a breath I would tense in anxiety. The Monster didn’t let go of me the entire night. If anything his hold on my waist tightened as he fell more deeply into slumber.

It was frightening and frustrating. The only sleep that I had been able to get was in the wee hours of the morning when the Monster had finally gone deep enough in his sleep not to be breathing as heavily on my neck.

I woke up immediately though when light began to pour into the room through the blinds, leaving streaks of rich yellow across the white sheets of the bed. I wanted desperately to get up but I didn’t have the guts to wake up the beast just yet. Unlike before I didn’t want to push his buttons too much.

Unlike before I couldn’t afford for him to become angry or suspicious.

I could feel it when he finally did wake up. His arm around me moved slightly and his breathing changed from a deep steady rhythm to a more irregular pattern. I could feel his gaze on the back of my head and could hear the short breaths he took through his nose as if he was sniffing me.

He didn’t say anything as he let go of me and got out of the bed and walked to the dresser. He didn’t even really look at me as he grabbed a set of clothes and sauntered into the bathroom to take a shower.

He didn’t shut the door behind him so I had to wait until I could hear the shower running before I decided to get up and make my escape from the room. Wanting to be as far away from the showering Monster as possible, I ended up sitting in one of the arm chairs in the living room, watching the morning news on a low volume. The werewolf woman reading the forecast for the week predicted that the next three days would be clear with highs in the mid-fifties and lows in a the upper thirties. Later in the week though rainstorms were supposed to be moving into the area and a marked temperature drop was supposed to follow them.

“So the moon should be bright and visible for the night of the tribunal in the northern region but the trip home may be a wet one for most viewers.” The woman announced a coy smile on her lips at her stupid little jokes. So it was supposed to rain after the tribunal?

Maybe that would do even more to mask our scent trails.

Carlos will love this forecast.

The sound of the Monster’s footsteps broke me from my thoughts as he entered the room. I glanced back at him silently to see that his eyes were locked onto the television screen and not on me. His large figure was leaning in the door frame once again, this time holding a mug of what I would assume was coffee in his hands. His black hair was damp looking from the shower and he wore a long sleeve white t-shirt and a pair of grey sweat pants instead of his usual professional business attire.

Wasn’t he supposed to be at work?

I looked over at the television again.

It was Saturday.

How could I forget what day of the week it was?

Six weeks in this god forsaken apartment was really taking its toll on me. If it weren’t for the windows I’m sure I wouldn’t even know if it was day or night.