𝐃𝐀'𝐕𝐈𝐍𝐀 𝐄𝐋𝐋𝐈𝐒

"Mom can Devin please come over? I'm literally done with all my stuff and I cleaned my room

"Mom can Devin please come over? I'm literally done with all my stuff and I cleaned my room." I begged dramatically.

She looked up from helping my little brother Kaz with his homework and ignored my request. I tossed my head back and stomped my feet I was prepared to put on a dramatic performance before my dad came into the kitchen with low eyes and a drink in his hand.

"Dad can Devin come over?" I ask stopping him in his tracks.

My dad blinked at me a few times before turning to his wife.

"Khadeen," he called out.

"Devale." She called back.

Devin is my boyfriend, I guess. We've only been talking for a month or so. They say they like him but they refuse to let him come over. Then when I go over there they have a fit.

Only a few more months and I'll be eighteen. Which means I can come and go as I please.

"This is bullshit." I mumbled walking off.

"What's that?" My mom asked.

Oh but she  heard that...

"I ain't say nothing." I said go towards the stairs.

"Don't get fucked up." She warned making me roll my eyes.

I mocked her all the way to my room.

"Sweet girl why are you and your mother arguing?" My Mimi asked peeking her head out her door.

"They won't let Devin come over." I tell on my parents.

"My girl, space makes the heart grow fonder. Gave you ever heard that?" She asked me.

I squint and nod my head. "Yeah. But I miss him now, my heart is already growing fonder."

"You just seen him yesterday," my grandma pleaded with me. "Do me a favor and come help me fold the laundry. We can talk about it together." She said.

My grandma and I are super close. To be fair I am her first grandchild. The only girl too, so there's a special place for me in her heart. When me and my mom aren't seeing eye to eye I can count on my grandma cause I know she'll take my side. Even if she doesn't know what's going on.

"Mimi what's going on with me? Why do I like this boy so much?" I ask as I help fold the clothes.

She sat down on the bed and watched me do most of the work.

"I was gonna ask you the same question." She said. "Are you having sex with this boy?" She asked me.

"No ma'am." I truthfully answer.

"Oh good." She said. "A month is too soon! You need to make him wait." She said making me laugh at her thick Jamaican accent.

"Mimi I don't wanna talk about this!" I said covering my ears. "Me and God talk all the time and I made a vow to him to wait until I met someone really worth that part of me." I said shaking my head.