Nine

Khadeen

"Hey baby..." I said rubbing Vina's forehead as her eyes opened. "How do you feel?" I ask her.

Then I started to regret the question. I know words probably can't explain how she feels. Not about her being violated or the entire situation at hand. I would be scared if I were her. I am scared for her; as her mother.

When I got the call that she was in the hospital I thought she'd gotten into a car accident or something. I woke up in the middle of the night and went to her room but she wasn't there. I figured she was with Akira or with Devin, since she'd been staying there these past few weeks. But I didn't think this would happen.

"I wanna go home." She said weakly.

"I know baby give them a few more minutes." I said grabbing her hand. "Do you want to talk about it?" I ask.

Vina chuckled and shook her head. "It was just sex— it's not a big deal." She said looking away. "Can I go home?" She asked changing the subject.

"Da'Vina that wasn't sex baby. You were raped and you need to talk about it—"

"Mom leave me alone!" She loudly yelled making me jump. "Just get out." She said.

Devale must've heard the commotion cause he came in the room and waved me out. I got up and looked at my daughter before leaving out.

"She's in denial." I told him.

"We'll just give her some time. It's only been three hours." Devale said rubbing my shoulder.

"How's Devin?" I ask Devale.

"Fractured ribs but that's it. He's just a little angry right now." Devale said. "He's trying to get to Vina but they don't want him up right now."

I nod my head and smile. "At least he's worried about her. He loves her ya know?" I say looking my husband.

Devale nodded his head. "Yeah I know." He said.

"Mr and Mrs. Ellis, here are Da'Vina's discharge papers. She's good to go." A nurse said approaching us with papers.

"Thank you." We said at the same time.

"What about Devin?" I ask the nurse.

"We want to keep him overnight, he took a lot of hits to the head and we just wanna make sure he's okay before he leaves us." The nurse said.

She walked away and I looked at Devale before we both went back into Da'Vina's room. She was already sitting up and grabbing the clothes we'd brought her from the house. Unfortunately her former outfit is considered evidence.

She put on her hoodie and sweatpants before trying to stand up. But she whimpered lowly catching me and her dads attention.

"Oww." She said grabbing her stomach.

"What's wrong baby?" Devale asked rushing to her side.

She closed her eyes and shook her head. "Nothing I'm okay." She said softly.

I could tell she wasn't okay. She was just too embarrassed to say out loud exactly what was hurting her. 

"No you're not. Here I'll help you." I said grabbing her shoes and sitting down.

When we finally got her dressed we went home. It was very long and quiet ride.

Vina

Hey call me when you see this🫶🏽

I hope you feel okay. I wanna cu

I looked at the messages I sent to Devin thirty minutes ago and started to worry. I couldn't do anything but lay in bed and replay the traumatic events that's happened to me a few hours ago. Either that or worry about Devin. My family is giving me space which is nice because I don't have anything to say about anything. I feel numb.