Thirteen

DA'VINA

"Can I get the biscuits and gravy please with a side of hash browns?"

"Any fruit with that?" Our waitress asked.

I shake my head. "No ma'am, the smoothie is fine." I tell her.

"Okay I will get those orders in and get them to you." She said grabbing Devin and I's menu.

She walked away and I looked at Devin, moving my hair out my face.

"You talking to her more than you talking to me." He said sounding sad. "Are you still ma-"

"No I'm not." I cut him. "I'm not mad... What time does your flight leave?" I ask him.

"Shit, I gotta be out by 4 AM and at the airport. My flight leaves at 5." Devin responded. "Are you gonna miss me?" He asked.

I nod my head. "A little bit."

"A little bit? Wow.." he said looking away.

"I mean I can come see you on my breaks, I mean if you want me to." I tell him. "If you don't have a girlfriend.."

"Stop it." He said.

"What? I'm being for real." I said shrugging. "I don't know how we're gonna do long distance. I want you to be yourself and have fun. I don't want you to worry about me or my feelings." I tell him.

He shifted in his seat. His face formed a confusing look.

"Shit I was gonna say the same thing to you." He said.

A moment of silence fell upon us. I started looking around the diner we were in. I could hear Devin sipping his orange juice.

"So we're breaking up?" I ask him.

He looked at me. "No." He replied. "Taking a break." He said.

I nod my head slowly and smile, "Yeah taking a break." I said. "You're gonna come back and go to prom with me right?" I ask him.

"Oh yeah I'm definitely coming back to stunt on those white people." He joked making me laugh. "Plus my twin is having a baby, uncle D!" He said loudly.

"I wish Myles was as happy as the rest of us.. shocked but happy."

"Man Akira don't need him. He's a scrub. She has me and you, your family, and her family-"

"Not exactly. Her mom put her out." I tell Devin.

"Dang that's crazy." He said looking off into space. "What would you do..if you got pregnant?" He asked making me laugh.

I shake my head, "I would be too scared to tell my parents so I probably would hide it until the birth or not have it at all." I tell Devin.

He shrugged. "Fair enough." He said. "What you doing later?"