The test

Mathew Hillman awoke slowly, blinking his eyes against the morning sunlight streaming in through the small dormitory window. With a yawn, he stretched his arms over his head, wincing slightly as his back cracked. The lumpy mattress had done him no favors, as usual. One day he hoped to be able to afford something better than these rock-hard beds the school provided. But such luxuries were distant dreams for now.

Swinging his legs over the side of the bed, Mathew sat up and tried to shake the remaining grogginess from his head. Today was not a day to be tired or unfocused. As he went through his morning routine, his mind kept returning to the significance of what lay ahead.

Today was the day. The day everything would change for their little school. Mathew splashed some water on his face and regarded his reflection in the dingy mirror above the sink. His bright blue eyes stared back at him, filled with a mixture of curiosity and apprehension. He ran a hand through his shaggy brown hair in an attempt to smooth it down. At 16 years old, Mathew was tall and lanky, hitting a growth spurt last year that left his uniform perpetually looking one size too small. Most days he rushed through getting ready, eager to escape the confines of the cramped dorm room. But today he took his time, knowing he’d rather delay the inevitable.

Once he finally deemed his appearance presentable enough, Mathew slung his bookbag over one shoulder and headed downstairs. The halls were already bustling with activity as his fellow classmates emerged from their rooms, yawning and rubbing bleary eyes. A few of them shot Mathew nervous glances as he joined the chattering crowd making their way to the cafeteria for breakfast. No one seemed eager to discuss the giant elephant in the room. Or rather, the giantess who would soon be joining them.

The line for food stretched nearly out the door, moving at a crawl. Mathew tapped his foot impatiently, stomach rumbling. He needed coffee and food if he was going to get through this day. The air was filled with anxiety and uncertainty that grated on his nerves. Finally retrieving some lukewarm eggs and burnt toast, Mathew scanned the crowded tables until he spotted a familiar blond head.

“Eric!” he called out, winding his way over to his best friend.

Eric Greene glanced up and waved him over. “Hey man. Ready for the big day?”

Mathew snorted, setting his tray down across from him. “Sure, if by ready you mean feeling like I’m gonna hurl at any moment.”

Eric grinned sympathetically. With his tousled blond hair, sparkling green eyes and athletic frame, Eric was one of the more popular guys in their class. He and Mathew had been close friends since grade school despite their vastly different social standing. Mathew knew Eric got asked all the time why he hung out with an average kid like him, but Eric would just laugh and sling an arm around Mathew’s shoulders, saying true friends don’t care about things like popularity.

Mathew appreciated more than he could say having a loyal friend like Eric in this place. They’d leaned on each other through all the twists and turns of adolescence. And now they would enter this strange new phase together at Summer Pine High.

“Yeah, I’m pretty freaked out too,” Eric admitted through a mouthful of cereal. “I mean, we all knew this was coming someday. But it still feels so crazy, you know? Are we really gonna have a giantess in our school?”

Mathew shuddered at the thought. “I’m trying not to think about it too much. Otherwise I start feeling like the room is shrinking.”

Ever since the fateful announcement last month that their little boarding school would be selected for the exchange program this year, a cloud of apprehension had fallen over the campus. Students whispered nervously in the halls about what it would be like when the giantess arrived. Having a mythical creature from another realm suddenly in their midst was jarring, to say the least. Mathew almost wished they could return to the days when giants were just legends – terrifying beings from another world who occasionally snatched humans that strayed too far into their mountains.