DECISION MADE

In the early morning light, the soft hum of the hospital filled the room. Nina lay asleep in her hospital bed, her face pale and peaceful. A dedicated nurse entered her ward, gently knocking on the door before stepping inside. She placed the back of her palm on Nina's forehead to check her temperature, ensuring everything was as it should be. The nurse diligently carried out her routine checks and then quietly left the room.

Not long after, the door creaked open again, and Nina's mother entered, her eyes filled with worry and affection.

"Hey, sweetie," she whispered, approaching Nina's bedside.

Nina slowly opened her eyes, blinking as she adjusted to the light. "Good morning, Mom," she greeted with a weak smile.

Noticing Nina facial stress, her mother sat down, her tone filled with concern. "What's on your mind, honey? What's bothering you?"

Nina hesitated for a moment, then replied, "It's nothing, Mom."

Her mother's expression softened. "You can't fool me, darling. Is it about your trip to the human world? I've told you, we can try again next year. There's no need to stress yourself. Your health is what matters."

Nina sighed and shook her head. "It's not that, The principal was here yesterday."

Her mother raised an eyebrow. "Oh, did he come to tell you that since you can't go, they've chosen someone else, and that's why you're upset?"

Nina nodded. "It's not that, Mom. Well, sort of.., he said because of my current condition, he'll let me choose my replacement."

Her mother's eyes widened in surprise. "That's great, Nina! You can choose anyone you want, just don't stress your self in your condition, remember your all I've got after what happened to your brother" she said with a hint of sadness 

|FLASHBACK|

A nine-year-old Nina rushed into the hospital, her face beaming with a radiant smile. She hurried to her big brother Nathan's bedside, who was lying there, fighting a serious illness.

"Big bro, Mom said you'll be out of here soon, and we'll play together again!" Nina giggled with excitement.

Nathan, weakened but with a loving smile, replied, "*Cough* Yes, sis. I'm getting better, and I can't wait to carry you on my shoulders and explore the park together."

"Take it easy, Nathan," their mother called out, concern in her voice.

"It's okay, Mom. I want to spend time with my little sister today," Nathan said, gesturing for Nina to hop on his shoulders. With Nina perched above, he walked around, making "vroom" sounds to amuse her.

Their doctor approached Nathan's mother and whispered, "Let him enjoy his time with his sister. He has less than 24 hours left. Make sure she gets all the love and support she needs."

Tears welled up in Nathan's mother's eyes. "I know, and Nina believes he'll be okay. I'll have to tell her, but she's so happy and innocent. It's going to shatter her."

Back in the flashback, little Nina was still on her brother's shoulders, enjoying her special ride. "I'm flying, big bro! I can't wait for you to come back home, and I'll make the house so neat for you. You'll be so proud of me!"

Nathan's voice was full of love as he replied, "I'm already so proud of you, little sis."

"Thanks, big bro!" Nina beamed with pride and joy.

Nathan continued to play with Nina, giving her a pony ride, sipping pretend tea, and telling her stories until she grew tired and fell asleep beside him.