crossroads

Selena strolled through the tiny human village, towering above the tiny houses roof cottages nestled side by side along the road. Warm sunlight caressed her skin as a soft breeze whispered through her long golden hair. Far below, little humans gazed up at her in awe, some kneeling in reverence before their giant goddess.

"Please, have mercy!" their reedy voices pleaded. Selena smiled benevolently down at the little guys, before lifting her feet up and.

"Selena! Hey, Selena!" A distant voice bellowed, intruding into her tranquil world. The idyllic scene began fragmenting around her.

"Wake up, sleepyhead!" The voice rang out again, even louder. With a groan, Selena reluctantly opened her eyes. Bright sunlight streamed through the classroom windows rather than the setting sun of her dreamscape. And instead of tiny houses, there were rows of gigantic wooden desks receding around her. Tiana's grinning face loomed overhead as Selena blinked groggily.

"Come on, time for lunch!" her exuberant friend announced.

Selena yawned and sat up, joints cracking. She must have dozed off sometime during 4th period. Probably not the best idea on today of all days, but Tiana's droning voice lecturing up at the front had lulled her into a stupor.

"Ugh, what time is it?" Selena mumbled, brushing back her long golden locks.

"Almost noon, girl," replied Tiana. "You slept through the whole lesson. Lucky Mr. Eldon didn't notice, or you'd be stuck in detention right now."

Selena grimaced. Normally she tried to stay on the teachers' good side. Falling asleep was so not like her. But like the rest of the school, her mind was preoccupied with the upcoming selection ceremony that afternoon.

"What'd I miss?" Selena mumbled, gathering her textbooks scattered across the desk.

"Just that the world was about to end. She exaggerated.

"What" Selena asked confused

"Just kidding, it's just plain old trigonometry,I'll fill you in later." Tiana slung her bulky patchwork bag over one shoulder. "Now come on, let's go fuel up in the cafeteria"

Selena had a blank stare, clearly not understanding the joke Tiana told

Tina exited the class, Selena followed Tiana out into the vaulted granite hallway. Only her friend could get so pumped about cafeteria food. But Tiana's enthusiasm was infectious, and Selena found her grogginess evaporating. This was no regular lunch period - today was the long-awaited selection when a young celeden would go into the human world to live the dream life.

In three hours, the "choosing ceremony" would take place in the school's massive arena. Selena gnawed her lip nervously, imagining hundreds of her school mates sitting in a single room waiting for some news

The cafeteria's vaulted ceilings soared hundreds of feet overhead. Selena grabbed a wooden tray the size of a dance floor and joined the queue of students that snaked halfway across the room. Everyone seemed to be vibrating with an undercurrent of nervous excitement about the rapidly approaching event.

Selena eyed the feast laid out along the buffet line. There were mountains of boundless food, enough to feed thousands of humans. Platters of roasted meats, heaps of vegetables loomed like colorful hills, and barrels of fresh fruit juice could quench a small town's thirst. She took her time piling her plate high.

Tray loaded with nourishment, Selena scanned the crowded room for her friends. Amidst the sea of youthful giant faces, she quickly spotted Nina's signature braided ponytail. Weaving through the packed tables and benches, Nina was the brains of their quartet. Her long black hair was, as always, neatly plaited down her back. Though not the most sociable, Nina's humor balanced out the group.