Departure

Mia dragged her feet as she walked home from the hospital, emotionally drained after visiting Nina. She felt bad for her studious friend, but also conflicted about being chosen to go in her place. 

When Mia finally got home, she was greeted by the mouthwatering aroma of dinner cooking. Her younger brother James poked his head out from the kitchen. 

"There you are! We were wondering when you'd show up," he said, stepping outside onto the porch. 

"Hey James," Mia replied with a wan smile. She made her way up the front steps.

James leaned casually against the porch railing but his eyes were sharp with curiosity as he looked her over. "Whoa, you okay sis? You're looking seriously spaced out." 

Before Mia could reply, he asked gently, "How's Nina doing? Is the sickness getting any better?"

Mia sighed, dropping her school bag heavily onto the porch swing. "Honestly, she still seems really weak and out of it. I don't think she'll be on her feet for at least another week minimum."

."

James nodded, leaning on the doorframe. "Man, that really sucks. I know she was so pumped to go."

Before Mia could respond, their dad lumbered into the room. He gave Mia's hair an affectionate tussle. 

"Don't worry, your friend will be back on her feet in no time," he rumbled. "Why don't you go wash up? Dinner's just about ready."

Mia managed a small smile. "Sure, Dad." She turned and trudged upstairs to change out of her school uniform.

In her room, Mia peeled off her school wear as she stared pensively out the window as she pulled on leggings and an oversized sweater. The sun was starting to dip behind the distant mountain peaks. 

Soon she'd be seeing sunsets in an entirely different planet. The thought made her stomach flip uncertainly. With a shake of her head, Mia turned and headed back downstairs. She could fret about the implications later. 

Dinner was a welcome distraction, the savory smells making Mia's mouth water. She eagerly scooped heaping portions onto her plate. The familiar clink of silverware and her dad's deep rumbling voice soothed her rattled nerves. 

But Mia quickly lost her appetite when James said casually, "So with your nerdy friend laid up, I might actually have a shot at the exchange program now."

Mia paused with her fork halfway to her mouth. She hadn't told her family about the new development yet. 

"What makes you say that?" she asked carefully.

James shoveled dinner up his mouth, unconcerned. "Well with so little time left, they'll probably just randomly pick someone now. There's over 500 kids in our school, so I figure I've got like a 1 in 500 chance." He smiled smugly. "I'll take those odds."

Mia couldn't help an amused snort. James shot her a look across the table. 

"What's so funny over there?"

Mia debated how much to reveal. She opted to start slowly. "It's not random selection actually. The principal gave Nina a choice."

"A choice?" James looked thoughtful as he chewed slowly. 

Mia nodded. "Since she earned the spot originally, he said she could pick a replacement if she wanted."

James's eyes lit up. He leaned forward eagerly. "Whoa, for real? Hmm..." 

Mia could almost see the wheels turning in his head. She knew James was calculating if Nina might choose him since they'd met a few times during movie night and slumber parties they occasionally had. The thought made her want to laugh again.