Chapter 7

The next day, it seemed that things were finally settling into a new routine. I awoke to her humming again, which stopped at nine o'clock when she opened the drapes and called her morning greeting. She left for my breakfast, and I got my clothes and went into the bathroom to get ready for the day. When I finished there, I found breakfast already on the desk, my bed neatly made, my sword propped up next to my chair. I sat down to eat while she went into the bathroom.

As long as I didn't look at her too much, she wouldn't pose too much of a problem for me.

I had my office to myself that day. Clavis was probably still busy with his investigation. Nokto was doubtless 'interrogating' a new informant. His methods were questionable, but he certainly got results.

At two thirty, I went to my library, and Ivetta brought my tea as usual.

"Prince Chevalier?"

I looked up from my book at her soft question. "What is it?"

Her green eyes were nervous, but she answered without any hesitation. "My mother's birthday is coming up a week from today, and Prince Yves has agreed to help me make beignets that afternoon. Is that okay?"

Yves and I rarely crossed paths. Clavis must have taken a break from work for another diversion. It was a wonder he ever got anything done.

Although an occasional diversion wasn't necessarily such a bad idea.

"So, it isn't enough for you to wait for trouble to come; now you seek it out, is that right?" I asked with a derisive smirk.

"I'm not looking for any trouble, your highness," she said, nervousness replaced by resignation as she recognized my teasing tone. "If you won't allow it, I'd just like to let Prince Yves know as soon as possible. He said he would clear his afternoon that day, and I don't want to inconvenience him unnecessarily."

"Clearly I'm not keeping you busy enough if you have time to meet with other princes," I continued mockingly.

"Not at all, your highness. This happened during my lunch break. And I wasn't looking to meet anybody. I was trying to read, but Prince Clavis found me and offered me a tour of the gardens." She was managing her emotions better. Yesterday, she would have been struggling to remain calm at this point. Today, she was in complete control.

"And just like a foolish little dove, you trusted him," I said, pushing her further.

She sighed. "No, your highness, I didn't, but I did want to see the gardens. He didn't give me any trouble - beyond annoying Prince Yves and me." She paused, and then she said, "My apologies, your highness. I shouldn't talk about Prince Clavis that way."

"Maybe you're not so foolish," I said, smirking. "He is a noisy pest."

As inappropriate as it was for a maid to speak badly of a prince, I didn't mind her honesty. I had little respect for anybody, prince or not. But her comment about trying to read had caught my attention. I remembered finding the collection of short stories on the window seat of the alcove the day she first started working here, and I realized that must be where she spent her lunch breaks, reading. It wouldn't be easy for somebody with her limited means to access books, but she was very familiar with literature. She must be passionate enough about reading to take advantage of every opportunity that came her way.

"I hope you weren't reading one of my books without permission." Although I knew she wouldn't, and it wouldn't bother me if she did. She handled books carefully enough to earn my trust in that regard.

"No, your highness, I would never do that. There are plenty of books in the main library for me to choose from." She glanced at the book I was currently reading: The Romance of the Rose. It was a foreign book, very popular and very difficult to come by. She was clearly interested in it.