Chapter 45

I woke up around noon the next day, as usual, and pushed back the covers and stretched. The room was bathed in sunlight, illuminating the empty spot at my right side. The spot where Ivetta had been the one morning I woke up next to her, the spot where she had been last night in her room. The spot that was made for her. I sat up, and my eyes immediately landed on the books on my desk. Whether she was a maid, a princess, or just a bastard child of a prostitute made no difference to me, but, as Jin said, it would matter greatly to others. Of course, that wouldn't be an issue anymore. I grinned and got out of bed, heading to the bathroom. She was a princess. That had to stay a secret, for now, but I knew. And Sariel needed to know, too. If he started planting rumors about Ivetta's mother being an escaped noblewoman from Garnet, and the Emperor heard those rumors, he may put the pieces together.

I'd rather go to war with Obsidian than give her up.

Sariel often worked through lunch, and today was no exception. He looked up with mild irritation as I walked in and dropped the books on his desk.

"Prince Chevalier, to what do I owe this pleasure?" he asked, scanning the titles of the books as I took my seat across from him.

"Send your servants out," I ordered. I didn't see any in the room, but I knew they were there. He had them trained to blend into their surroundings, ready at a moment's notice to attend to his every command.

He smiled, as he always did when I made him nervous. "You heard the prince. Go."

Several servants emerged from the woodwork and draperies and exited the room. I waited until the door latched closed behind them before I spoke again.

"Are you familiar with this language?"

He nodded. "It's the language of Garnet. I assume this has something to do with Ivetta."

"You will not have to construct an acceptable background for her," I said, unable to contain my smile. "She is the heir to Garnet."

He chuckled. "Now, really, you don't expect me to believe that?" He opened the journal, and his smile immediately vanished as his lavender eyes widened.

"Gilbert has confirmed it," I added.

Sariel exhaled slowly. "Does she know?"

"No. And this will have to remain a secret until the Emperor signs the treaty. Ivetta was promised to Gilbert before Garnet fell."

Sariel looked back up at me, his eyes narrowed again. "And you don't think Gilbert will tell the Emperor?"

"I know he won't," I replied firmly. "If you would like to study those, you may, but I want them back."

"Of course." Sariel closed the journal and deposited both books in a drawer of his desk. "When will you tell her?"

That was the all important question.

"She talks in her sleep, so probably not until it's safe to reveal to everybody," I mused. The doctor was trustworthy, but I didn't want to take any chances of this getting to the Emperor until the treaty was signed.

"I'll pretend I didn't hear that," Sariel said coolly, narrowing his eyes further. "As a princess, and with no parents to defend her honor, I will assume that role along with that of her tutor, when she is well enough to begin lessons."

I chuckled. "Her honor is intact, and her doctor has already assigned himself to its defense. Do you foresee any further difficulties?"

Sariel sighed and pushed his glasses up. "There will be those who suspect we concocted her story to suit our needs, and those who think less of her for being raised as a commoner. Nothing too serious, I should think. But there is another matter we need to discuss. Belle is leaning heavily toward selecting you as the next king."