Chapter 54

The day of the coronation ceremony finally came. It was to start with a parade in the afternoon that wound its way from the palace, down to the town, and then back again. I would lead the procession, symbolically leaving as a prince, receiving the blessing of the people, and returning as a king. Following would be a festival in the town and a ball in the palace. Foreign dignitaries, including most of the kings and queens from the surrounding nations, would be in attendance. Except for the emperor of Obsidian. His absence was a slap in the face, particularly since Obsidian was one of Rhodolite's direct neighbors. He sent Gilbert in his place with a request for Yves to return with Gilbert afterwards for a tour of his 'homeland.' Adding insult to injury, this was conveyed to me in a letter written by Gilbert, not the emperor.

I hadn't bothered to reply.

Yves' part in it all was the reason for his midnight stress-baking the night of Ivetta's nightmare. I'd called him into my office earlier that day to discuss the emperor's request. Yves' birth had been intended to bring Rhodolite and Obsidian together, and, disregarding the emperor's obvious slight to me, this was an opportunity to do so. He was perfectly positioned to become an ambassador between our two countries - his two countries. But the decision wasn't mine to make. It was his. In the end, he decided to go, and I decided to ignore the emperor's affront. He wouldn't live forever, after all. It was far more worthwhile to pursue a good relationship with his only heir than it was to concern myself with him.

And, far more worthwhile even than that, was the coronation ceremony and the proposal to follow.

My father's royal regalia had been tailored to fit me, and it was with a mixture of disgust and pleasure that I put them on. He and I had been very similar in height and build, so very little in the way of alterations had to be made. That contributed to my disgust, along with the many unpleasant memories of him wearing these clothes and abusing his authority for his own personal gain, not that of his kingdom. I wasn't him, I reminded myself as I looked in the mirror, though the resemblance was uncanny from the neck down. The plain black shoes, pants and shirt could have belonged to anybody, actually, as could the black vest trimmed with gold. They were all specifically designed to be unobtrusive, so as not to detract from the glory of the coat and the crown. It was that coat that irked me. As a child, I'd come to associate it with Rhodolite itself, having been passed down from one king to the next for generations over Rhodolite's long history. Kings like my father tarnished its reputation. I had longed for the day when I would wear it and restore its honor.

Today was the day.

The familiar dark blue fabric settled heavily over my shoulders, reaching down to my knees. Ivory lapels and cuffs stood out dramatically from the overall dark attire, flanked by a pair of large sky-blue crystals mounted in gold on each shoulder. The material of the coat was trimmed and embroidered in gold with floral designs, roses, and stars, designs that matched those engraved into the golden crown I would soon be wearing.

It wasn't his anymore. It was mine. And, hidden within an inner pocket, was the engagement ring I intended to place on Ivetta's finger later. Hence the pleasure.

I made my way to the throne room, my hip feeling strangely empty without the weight of my sword. The gloves were a way for me to hide any marks from unpleasant business; the sword was a symbol of war. Today was a day of peace. I couldn't recall the last time I'd been without them. Probably in my childhood, before I'd learned swordsmanship. Maybe when I was six or seven.

Ivetta wasn't the only one to grow up too quickly.

The throne room was full to bursting. I walked down the red carpet, past the royal guard, the visiting royalty, my brothers, and the court ministers, to seat myself on the empty throne. Sariel brought the crown, said the customary words, and placed it on my head. All gathered pledged their allegiance. I stood and walked to the doors, my brothers falling in line behind me, the royal guard following them, and the throne room doors were thrown open. Nobility crowded the entrance hall, erupting in cheers as I led the procession to the main doors.