𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍ᵗʰᵉ ᵍⁱʳˡ ʷᵃⁱᵗˢ

introducing...

𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍ᵗʰᵉ ᵍⁱʳˡ ʷᵃⁱᵗˢ

"𝐃𝐎 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐒𝐄 𝐁𝐎𝐎𝐊𝐒 you carry with you, or just take them around for a walk?"

Callie wasn't in the best of moods. 

She sat lazily in the purple armchair in her living room as she covered with the hand her eyes from the blinding light that penetrated through the windows. The sun, which tended to cradle and cuddle her, today disgusted her. She'd already tried a million times to close the curtains, and yet Joseph had opened them again every time.

Callie, though she would never tell him (ever!), was grateful to have him by her side now. Not that she needed it, to be clear, but having someone to keep her company could be a good thing. 

Sometimes.

Callie was getting used to the presence of the vicious boy who always found a way to tease her. She saw him wandering around the house, snooping around, scrutinizing every possible manuscript, delicately touching every surface. If she hadn't known him, Callie would have said he liked that place.

"I am doing it for you! Perhaps in this manner, they will pass on some knowledge, you know, out of proximity." Joseph's eyes gazed at her intensely, full of mischief and amusement. Callie didn't reciprocate that feeling.

"You better think about your education. It appears you need it." But one thing Callie loved about that relationship was the possibility of crossing the line: no courtesies, false cordialities, only battles of words.

"I will. Thanks for your concern. It was very tender of you." He, who had previously been sitting on the sofa of the home, got up and, in a few steps, found himself in front of the girl. Before she could stop him, Joseph had his hand out, and he'd placed it on her head, ruffling her hair.

Callie, who honoured her hair, had abruptly moved him away, grabbing his wrist and forcefully pulling it.

Callie tried to smooth out her thick, now messy hair as Joseph put his hands on his belly, laughing at the top of his lungs.

"Come on, Rhodes," Joseph laughed again. "Don't you know that beauty is within?" Callie, who was still busy restoring, glared at him, fire in her eyes.

"Do not stress yourself. I own both." Joseph, at those words, said nothing. Looking at his toes, the boy smiled slightly. It wasn't the usual mocking smile he used with cutting phrases, but it was shy, perhaps happy. There was something strange.

"Why are you acting like this?" Callie, outspoken, had asked as she squinted, studying him. He, in response, had raised his eyes to the girl without removing the smile from his lips.