𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮?

song of the chapter: fake plastic trees - radiohead

fake plastic trees - radiohead

a/n: grab ya tissues

: * : , : * : : * : , : * :

cecilia is sat at her grandparents kitchen table, staring at her food, not being able to eat it due to her grandmother. honestly, she wasn't that hungry. she never thought she would be the kind of girl who would let a boy affect her this much. ethan's past words still play in her head. how could someone she loves so much, not trust her?

"cecilia?" she hears someone say. she looks up at her grandpa with a small smile. she looks down at his clothes, covered in some weird liquid from the car he has been working on.

"hey grandpa" she tells him. he sends her a soft smile, sensing something was wrong. cecilia leans back into her seat, tracing the pattern on the hem of her shirt. the rest of the family continues to talk while she blocks them out.

"we are waiting for you, richard. in thirty five years, i have never ever started a dinner without you unless you were out of town or seriously ill. elsa, take everything away and keep it warm! now please go upstairs and get ready so we can all enjoy a nice family dinner. . .together"

"i'll be right back" richard says. he walks by cecilia, lightly kissing the top of her head, a sign of comfort. she smiles at him.

: * : , : * : : * : , : * :

cecilia drops off a couple plates to a table. it's another morning where she has to work before school, but honestly she doesn't mind it. her mother and sister come into the diner. they sit at a table, luke walks toward them. she gets to the counter and begins wiping it off, suddenly feeling the presence of someone.

"it's not nice to stare jess" she says as she lightly tosses the rag, leaning on the counter. she crosses her arms, he lets out a sigh and scratches the back of his head.

"i'm not staring. i-i just want to make sure you are okay" he says sheepishly. cecilia lightly smiles and pushes her hair back. she shrugs her shoulders, she sighs out.

"it is what is jess" she tells him, walking to grab a to-go cup for her coffee, ready to head to school.

"i shouldn't have stayed the other night-"

"i'm gonna stop you right there mariano. you didn't do anything, you just brought a care package for luke and we all decided to have dinner. that's it, friends hanging out. ethan just doesn't see that" she tells him with a tight smile.