Chapter 1: The Day We Met

I still remember that day vividly. It was hot, the sun scorching my pale skin and only a gentle breeze rustled the hem of my skirt. I followed the usual path home, holding in my hand the result of my efforts: a hat. This hat, which would haunt me for a long time to come.

I had crafted it during home economics class. The assignment was to create an accessory, anything we desired: a necklace, a hairband, bracelets, bows, embroidered cushions... Most of the girls in the class had toiled over all sorts of kitschy items, but not me. I'd had enough of pink hair ribbons, chains adorned with glittering stones, and fake pearls. Not because I felt different from the other young girls in my class. No, I too occasionally wore the color pink and liked my sparkling necklace that my mother had gifted me. Yet, the way our teacher pushed us all in the same direction awakened something within me. A sense of rebellion.

So, I made a hat.

Sure, the combination of green and white wasn't particularly attractive, and the thing itself was actually too large for my head, but at least it looked like a hat. I had all the laughter on my side. Even the boys from our class had noticed and pointed at my hat while whispering in the hallway. Day by day, the lessons became more annoying. I had been attending the etiquette school for three years now. It was located in Seireitei, and only the sons and daughters of the wealthy and noble attended.

I continued down the path, gazing at my hat. It wasn't ugly, just not particularly chic or elegant. It was more suited for boys. Boys with peculiar tastes.

Sighing, I looked up, and a jolt of pain ran through me. A body collided with me unimpeded. I was so deep in thought about that that, hat I hadn't noticed the approaching boy and was immediately punished. "That's going to leave a bump," I thought grimly.

He must have been distracted as well.

"Sorry," he mumbled, casting anxious glances around.

I was about to start berating him, to ask him if he only had eyes for decoration, when I noticed the desperation in these: "Please, help me! Two brutal thugs are after me," he said, panic in his voice.

I could already hear footsteps approaching. No hiding spots left. Who did he think I was? Merlin, capable of making him vanish? Yet, when I saw the guys turn the corner, I reacted without thinking.

"Hey you two, have you seen the Urahara kid?" asked a rough-looking guy with a black stubble above his upper lip. The boy, now hidden beneath my large green and white striped hat, just shook his head, while I tried to appear thoughtful.

"Urahara? About this tall, blonde hair?" I inquired, and both of them nodded enthusiastically.

"Yeah, that's the one!"

"He went that way!" I answered, pointing in a direction. They rushed off in the direction my finger indicated. Coincidentally, I knew this area fairly well and was aware they'd be running straight for quite some time before realizing they were leaving Seireitei.

Once they were out of sight, I heard a sigh of relief from the boy, presumably Urahara. He took off the hat and held it out to me.

"Thank you," he said, offering it to me.

"Keep it, it doesn't suit me anyway," I replied and walked away. But soon enough, I heard his hurried steps, and he caught up with me in no time.

"So... I'm Kisuke Urahara," he introduced himself, a smile flickering across his face. I hesitated for a moment; I didn't particularly feel like engaging in conversation. The lousy school day had thoroughly dampened my mood. Yet, I decided not to take my frustration out on this boy.

"Akari Miyazaki," I told him my name.

He walked quietly beside me.

"Well then... thanks again, Akari."

I nodded, but remained silent, realizing he was observing me.

"What's the matter?" I asked, now somewhat puzzled. He shrugged.

"Don't you care why they were chasing me?" he inquired, and I furrowed my brow. Truth be told, I hadn't thought about it, as I was still preoccupied with my own thoughts. But now that he mentioned it, I grew curious and looked at him expectantly.

"You see, those guys think they're superior. They're mean to anyone smaller and weaker than them. They always boast about getting into the Shinigami Academy soon because their parents have connections... I wanted to show them how brave and great they truly are... Wanted to teach them a lesson, so I conjured a Hollow into their bedroom."

Now I was really taken aback.

"You did WHAT?" I asked, realizing after a while that I had stopped walking. But Kisuke just chuckled amusedly.

"Of course not a real Hollow. Where would I even get one, let alone make it do what I want? I've invented something new, which I call the Illusion Master. It can project any image you want, though it's also quite easy to see through. So, after they nearly wet themselves, they realized they'd been fooled."

I chuckled softly and shook my head in disbelief.

"And, of course, they knew it was you?" I questioned.

Kisuke shrugged once again.

"There aren't many oddballs like me who enjoy tinkering with inventions," he mumbled, and we walked together in silence for a while. His story significantly lifted my mood.

"It seems my story amuses you," Kisuke now also noticed, and I shot him a mischievous grin.

"Yes, and it's quite cute how you're so delighted by such a silly prank," I said, surprised that these words made him almost bashful. His face turned red, and I acted as if I hadn't noticed. My mother had admonished me several times for abashing people way too often.

Suddenly, Kisuke looked alarmed. The sun was already casting long shadows, and the sky had turned orange.

"Oh, I should hurry. You know, I'm from Rukongai, and I shouldn't even be in here," he confessed, and I glanced at one of the gates. It was a peaceful time, which was why they often stood open during the day. But at night, they were always closed.

"Then you better hurry," I advised.

He thanked me and ran off. I was about to turn into an alley when I heard footsteps running towards me again.

"Oh, Akari!" Kisuke came to a breathless halt in front of me.

"You have a strong Reiatsu... Are you going to the Shinigami Academy?" he panted, and I couldn't help but grin again.

"Of course! Once I get accepted, nothing's going to stop me," I declared, and Kisuke offered me his cheekiest grin.

"Then I'll see you there, at the latest."