Chapter 12: A Hundred Years Without You - Part 3: Yamachi's Greatest Wish

Each step felt heavy, and never before had the path through the Fifth Company seemed so interminable. I tried to quicken my pace, but my legs were leaden, and my heart raced. Since my mother's funeral, I hadn't seen Aizen, and the sight of his face was sure to incite my rage. However, at the moment, my greatest concern was for Hisana and Byakuya.

Only when I stood right before it did I realize that I had reached the main house of the Fifth Company. Carefully, I pushed the door open and entered the lounge. I remembered it from the time when Shinji was the Captain of the Fifth, but Aizen seemed to have transformed everything.

I walked through the room, paying no mind to the astonished gazes from all sides. I turned into the corridor leading to the Captain's chambers, knowing their location as each company's main house had a similar layout. A Shinigami stepped in my path with arms outstretched.

"You can't go through here!" he called out, and I responded with a skeptical look.

"Can't I?" I mocked, taking a few steps toward him. I heard at least ten other Shinigami in the room drawing their Zanpakutos.

"Aizen is already expecting me," I whispered, but the Shinigami didn't budge, until a sudden voice spoke up.

"It's alright, I am indeed expecting her." The Shinigami in front of me flinched, turned abruptly, and bowed hastily.

"Oh, forgive me, Captain Aizen. Of course, I'll let her through. Sorry, I didn't know you were invited," he said, still looking at me with a skeptical expression. I walked slowly past him and murmured a quiet "I wasn't," which seemed to send him into even greater panic. But I paid him no further attention. My primary focus was on the tall man with wavy brown hair and a black pair of glasses concealing his sinister gaze.

"After you," he said, holding the door to a large tea room for me. He closed the door behind me, and I laughed briefly.

"A cup of tea before you kill me?" I asked, and he walked past me, casting an indignant look in my direction.

"Who says I want to kill you?"

Actually, he was quite good at this act. He usually appeared so friendly that no one could see through his façade. However, since I had already seen his true self, he didn't even bother trying with me anymore. His voice sounded dangerous.

"Well, if I were to attack you with my sword, I'm sure you'd try to kill me," I retorted. He lowered his gaze, and the lenses of his glasses reflected the room's light, making it impossible for me to see his eyes.

"But it doesn't have to end that way, Akari. We can talk like adults."

I scoffed at him, and I immediately noticed his eyebrows furrowing.

"Do you think if I truly wanted to see you dead, you'd still be alive?"

Anger surged through me; his arrogance was unbearable. Without further thought, I drew my sword, knowing that I didn't have much time before a battle between two Captain-level Shinigami would attract the attention of others. I immediately shifted into Bankai form, which was one aspect I had continued to train, and the element of surprise was on my side.

Initially, I had only possessed a long, slender, violet blade. It took me a while to realize that my sword could change color and take on different abilities. Violet represented strong physical attack power, but that wouldn't help me against Aizen. Red allowed me to launch fire attacks, various shades of blue enabled water and ice attacks, but I couldn't waste any time. I swiftly shifted to a piercing green, which I was certain Aizen hadn't encountered yet.

I attacked as quickly as I could, with speed and surprise as my only advantages. Aizen skillfully parried my strikes, and we exchanged several sequences of blows until I made every effort to somehow land a hit.