Chapter 10: A Hundred Years Without You - Part 1: Pain and Realization

Months passed without me accomplishing anything truly meaningful. I spent a lot of time with Miaka and Mana, wandering through the city, desperately trying to pass through the gate - to no avail. Every attempt failed, and I was thrown back each time.

"Try taking off those bracelets," Mana suggested one day, but even that proved fruitless. I tried every means at my disposal, including my Zanpakuto, but they stubbornly clung to my arms. It was maddening. Initially, I was consumed by anger, but gradually, sorrow and despair took its place. I became melancholic.

"Akari," it was Mana who caught up with me during one of my walks. At first, she used to address me as Captain Miyazaki, and it took her some time to understand that I was no longer a member of the Got 13 - and never would be again.

"I think you should go to Seireitei," she suggested, and I sighed.

"I am banned from there," I explained to her for what felt like the thousandth time.

"And have you always followed all the rules? They can't forbid you from visiting your own family house," she protested, and I pondered over it.

"Besides, you're so fast that no one will even see you." She was particularly impressed by my Shunpo abilities.

"Your friends must miss you by now," I heard her say softly, then she took my hand and pulled me along.

"Plus, Mother and I have a gift for you!"

I followed her through the village streets. After a short walk, we stood in front of a shop where a young woman was examining something with Miaka. I entered, realizing it was a tailor shop.

"Ah, Akari, there you are," Miaka greeted me and pulled me closer.

"This is for you." I looked at a mannequin with clothing on it. I was still wearing my Shinigami uniform, and I knew I shouldn't be. But deep down, I had still held onto a glimmer of hope that I would soon return to Seireitei. I took a deep breath.

"My mother always told me that when you're heartbroken, sometimes changing something about yourself can help..." I gazed at the mannequin.

It was a tight-fitting black suit with three-quarter sleeves and legs. It seemed to be made of a sturdy material. Over it was a kind of white kimono top that was tied around the waist and flowed like a skirt over the pants, shorter in the front.

"This is an old warrior outfit that I've modified," began the young woman, obviously the tailor. "It's very durable, fire-resistant, and stretchy."

I quickly put it on, and it fit like a glove. I felt immediately comfortable in it. It was different from the loose kimonos of the Shinigami and had a bit of a rebellious edge, which suited me better.

"A high ponytail would look great with it, I'm sure," the tailor mumbled, and I looked at myself in the mirror. I had usually worn my long black hair loose, which made me look very proper, but that was about to change. I tied my hair up into a high ponytail, securing it with a violet ribbon and making a small bow.

It had the same color as my eyes.

Only then did I notice some violet stitches on the white fabric, forming small patterns. Everything was harmonious. I really looked like an ex-captain now. Somewhat rebellious - I liked it.

"Thank you," I managed to say, and stared in the mirror for a while. Even though it was just an outfit, it somehow gave me new strength.

"I thank you, truly. I will go to Seireitei tonight," I announced and winked at Mana, who nodded enthusiastically.

I bid them farewell and promised to be back soon. It didn't take me long to reach Seireitei this time; I knew the way. The sky was red as I stood before the massive gate. How could I get through? But then I saw a friendly face: Jidanbou the gatekeeper grinned at me. We were quite familiar with each other, as I had often used this gate to enter Rukongai.