Chapter 21 Quasar No Hikari

With bated breath, I followed Suzaku across the gleaming marble floor. After pledging to him that I would confront Sosuke in battle and remain loyal to him, he led me into a part of the castle I had not yet entered.

On our way, we encountered Kirio, who appeared visibly shaken. "Suzaku! You should have told me..." She halted when she spotted me.

"Forgive me, Kirio. I should have informed you," Suzaku said. Kirio lowered her gaze but said nothing more. Suzaku asked her to make preparations for the final plan and then continued to lead me through the castle.

Sato followed us with sluggish steps. I felt his gaze on the back of my head but did not turn to him. The whole situation continued to unsettle me deeply.

Two servants opened a grand double door, and we entered a long corridor adorned with countless portraits. I tried to absorb everything around me and almost collided with the Soul King. At the last moment, I managed to brake and avoid the collision. Suzaku had not noticed, as his attention was fixed on a portrait above us. I followed his gaze and observed a young family, all of them seeming to look at me with warm, brown eyes.

In the center of the painting stood a man, tall with broad shoulders, a full brown beard, and almond-shaped eyes. At his side was a woman of graceful beauty with a gentle gaze, holding a boy who could have been no more than two years old.

In front of them stood two more boys, their faces completely identical. Both were dressed in luxurious silk and beamed at me joyfully. Even though they could not have been more than six years old, I recognized the beginnings of their present appearances: wavy hair, brown eyes, and straight noses.

The twins Suzaku and Sosuke, alongside their parents and the younger brother.

"A joyful family," I murmured and studied the father of the twins, who exuded a certain authority.

"Yes, those were good times," Suzaku confirmed, appearing lost in memories. Sato beside me sighed, and I glanced at him. "You look rather sweet too," I teased, and Sato managed a sad smile but said nothing. It was Suzaku who replied, "That's not Sato."

I turned to the Soul King and looked once more at the young child in the mother's arms.

"Akari, I want you to know the whole truth before you face Sosuke again," Suzaku said. I nodded but said nothing. My heart raced, and my fingers began to tingle. My body seemed to sense that I was on the brink of learning things that could shatter my world.

"When this painting was created, Sato had not yet been born. Our younger brother, whom you see in our mother's arms, was named Seshiro. He passed away many years ago."

I squinted my eyes to examine the child more closely. My pulse continued to rise, and I held my breath to calm it.

Seshiro. Was that a coincidence? Highly unlikely.

I dug into my memories, but I couldn't connect the pale image within to the two-year-old I saw before me. I swallowed and tried to find my voice again.

"My father... he was your brother?"

Slowly, I turned my gaze to Suzaku, who now offered me a sad smile. "Yes, Akari. Your father was our brother."

I exhaled the breath I had been holding. Dizziness overcame me as I realized the implications.

"So, Aizen... I mean, Sosuke... he's my uncle? We share the same blood?"

"Yes. That's why his hypnosis doesn't work on you. Just like it doesn't work on us. He can't use it on his blood relatives."

I took a step back and shook my head.

"But that would mean Yamachi is also immune to Kyoka Suigetsu!"