Chapter 16: A Hundred Years Without You - Part 7: Family

With newfound vigor, I delved into the freshly arrived pile of books. I had sent a message to Byakuya, asking him to find writings on Sealing Stones. What I hadn't considered was the sheer volume of them.

Countless volumes described the art of sealing using metals, though the effects were often short-lived. Precious gems were more suitable for preserving enchantments over extended periods. However, these tomes often detailed how to employ metals and stones in various enchantments, pairing the right kind of seal with the appropriate gem. What they often omitted, however, was how to undo these seals.

My greatest setback came when I encountered a chapter extolling the grand benefits of Sealing Stones:

"Unlike ordinary spells, spells contained within gemstones and crystals endure beyond the conjurer's death, making them ideal for works meant to last."

I sighed. Not even Aizen's demise could sever these bonds. If Aizen was the sole possessor of the knowledge on how to remove the bracelets from me, then his death would mean I was tethered forever to the Soul Society and its limitations.

I closed the book.

My eyes ached, and I desperately needed some sleep.

The next morning, I returned to Rukongai to meet Sato. However, he wasn't at the inn, so I suspected he might be at the library.

I didn't want to wait for him, so I set off to meet him on the way. It was a short walk that led me out of the inhabited area and into another village. The movement did me a world of good, and I relished the brief stroll.

After a while, though, I grew impatient with the slow progress and switched to Shunpo speed. The library was further out than I remembered, and I soon found myself wrinkling my nose in distaste.

The outer districts of Rukongai remained the Soul Society's blight. I tried to shake off the feeling of regret. I had once vowed to improve conditions in Rukongai and help the destitute souls lead better lives, yet now I could barely help myself.

"Stop the thieves!"

I flinched. Two people ran past me, and an angry merchant stumbled behind them.

I hesitated. I had been so lost in thought that, for a moment, I considered continuing on my way and ignoring the situation. With a sigh, I leaped after the merchant. I couldn't escape my nature so easily, it seemed.

"I'll handle this," I grumbled to the gasping merchant, who had stopped to catch his breath.

I covertly followed the thieves. Only when they settled in a small alley far from the marketplace and felt safe did I dare take a proper look at them.

They wore tattered clothing, riddled with holes and tears. The boy's trousers were patched together haphazardly at a particularly large rip. Scratches and bruises adorned their arms and legs.

The boy took a delighted bite of an apple, while the girl hurriedly drank some water.

"That's not very polite," I said, just loud enough for them to hear.

Abruptly, the two jumped to their feet and struck a defensive pose. The boy even pointed a small knife in my direction. I was about to speak when my gaze fell upon the girl, and my breath caught.

All my carefully constructed words slipped away, and I found myself at a loss for speech. Not a single word left my mouth, even though there were so many I wanted to say.

Hisana's face flashed in my mind – her fight against a slow death, the glow of Kyoka Suigetsu in her eyes. I saw Byakuya, his face twisted with anger and grief, and I remembered the black flags that sadly fluttered in the wind. Byakuya, sitting silently beside me, staring at the wall.