Chapter 19 One Hundred Years Without You - Part 10: The Soul Kings Offer

A tingling sensation of energy coursed from my scalp to my fingertips and down to my toes. I slowly opened my eyes, unable to fully comprehend the sight before me. A castle of such vast proportions that it could have dwarfed the entirety of Seireitei stood imposingly against the backdrop of the dark night sky.

My attention was abruptly pulled away from the monumental structure by a sound. Sword tips encircled Sato and me, their metallic edges glinting in the dim light.

"As it seems, we were expected," Sato remarked, and the young woman facing us, with long, wavy hair, lowered her sword. Her face seemed oddly familiar, though that appeared nearly impossible.

"It was unwise of you, Sato, to enter the sacred city after defying the King's clear orders. You know the consequences that come with such defiance."

Faster than my eyes could follow, the woman swung her sword. I wanted to scream, but only a muffled gasp escaped my lips. Sato remained unscathed, but the fabric of his upper garment fell in tatters, leaving him bare-chested. He hadn't flinched in the slightest.

"The King awaits you," the woman stated with a stern look, sheathing her sword once more. Sato turned to me.

"I'll explain everything when I get back."

"No," the woman interjected again. Sato pressed his lips together and shot her a sidelong glance.

"The King also awaits you, Akari Miyazaki. Come."

Sato's expression darkened, and I swallowed hard. Just moments ago, I had been overjoyed to find Yamachi alive and well, and now confusion reigned in my mind.

The King?

Almost automatically, my feet carried me forward, one step after another, and I followed Sato and the woman. I stared at the back of her white haori, which bore a resemblance to the Captains haori. A large zero adorned it.

She was a member of the King's Guard. My astonishment was overtaken by concern when I noticed Sato's clenched fists. What did it all mean?

The double-winged gate swung open as if by an unseen force, revealing a grand entrance hall. Shimmering marble, radiant lamps, and oil paintings on the walls hardly distracted from the golden door frame that led to the next chamber. The members of the King's Guard stopped in their tracks.

Sato didn't look back. He pushed open the door, and I followed with trembling knees.

The chamber that stretched before us took my breath away once more. Countless chandeliers cast a soft, diffuse light on the bright marble floor, and a plush, red carpet guided us toward a throne adorned with gold and precious gems.

Seated upon it was a man whose face was concealed by a mask enveloping his entire head.

It wasn't until we reached the steps leading up to the throne that Sato came to a halt and knelt.

"My King," he murmured, and I knelt beside him.

I mirrored Sato's posture and cast my eyes downward.

"You've defied my orders."

The King's voice sounded far different than I had expected. I couldn't have precisely described how I had imagined the voice of the mighty Soul King, but it certainly wasn't like this. It was deep, resonant, yet held a warmth within it, something that prompted me to lift my gaze slightly.

Sato beside me still had his gaze fixed on the ground, his face twisted in a way that suggested he had bitten into something revolting.

The King rose from his throne and descended the steps, stopping right in front of Sato.