Chapter 23: How Does This Fit into My Memoirs?

He made no attempt to stifle the yawn. Hurriedly, he wiped away a tear from the corner of his eye and glanced at the chalkboard, filled from top to bottom with formulas. With a sigh, he cast his gaze out the window.

This peculiar feeling wouldn't let go of him. Since their victory against Aizen, peace reigned in both the Soul Society and his world. Even the number of Hollow attacks had dwindled to almost nothing in recent weeks.

"It's no wonder that peace feels strange to you after months of constant fighting. It's perfectly normal," his school friend Orihime had explained to him. Yet Ichigo couldn't shake the feeling that they had overlooked something.

His thoughts often drifted back to the final battle he had fought against Sosuke Aizen. A man whose nefarious plans, forged over centuries, had been thwarted by Ichigo Kurosaki, a high school student and substitute Shinigami.

"Alright, I'm undeniably talented and come from a Shinigami and Quincy lineage," Ichigo thought to himself as he absentmindedly doodled circles on his paper. Nevertheless, something bothered him.

He recalled the moment of realization in Aizen's eyes as Urahara's spell began to seal him, as the Hogyoku no longer recognized him as its master. Was that Aizen's true desire? Did he want to lose his power when he obtained the Hogyoku? Ichigo had felt it in that instant when his Zangetsu crossed blades with Kyoka Suigetsu. Aizen had come into the world with immense power. Had he spent his whole life searching for someone on his level? To be rid of power and simply be normal, like everyone else?

Had the Hogyoku, in the end, granted his true wish?

Ichigo once again felt the urge to gain access to Muken, the underground prison of Seireitei, to have a conversation with Aizen. However, he knew that the Gotei 13 would not allow this. Even though they owed him much, they wouldn't take that risk just so he could have a little chat with Aizen.

"KUROSAKI!"

Ichigo jumped up from his seat and noticed the teacher staring at his paper, which was filled with scribbles.

"Have you even absorbed anything I've been talking about?"

--

"Where are you always lost in your thoughts?" Orihime's question made Ichigo sigh. He had no desire to have this conversation with her again, so he just shrugged. They were on their way home from school.

"You really should concentrate better, Kurosaki-kun. The exams are coming up soon."

"Don't worry, Orihime. Exams are the least of my concerns," he grumbled, and they turned the corner, nearly colliding with one of their classmates.

"Oh, hi, Miya-chan!"

"Ah, Orihime-chan, Kurosaki-kun! I'm glad I ran into you. I have to go down this street, but there's a really creepy guy standing there, and I'm too scared to go alone."

"No problem, we have to go this way, right, Kurosaki-kun?"

"Hm-hm."

Ichigo nodded to his classmate, and they walked down the street. Normally, he would have taken a good look at the strange guy, but he wasn't in the mood today. He was still lost in thought, and the girls' chatter washed over him like rain on a windowpane.

"Kurosaki-kun!" Orihime's voice finally penetrated his reverie, snapping Ichigo out of his daze.

"Hm?"

Orihime's gaze seemed like a warning, and Ichigo tensed. He looked in the direction she indicated, but the man standing there didn't appear threatening at all. A bit unusual, with his sad expression and blank face.