Chapter 17: A Hundred Years Without You - Part 8: Kuroeien

I awoke with a somewhat peaceful feeling. I hadn't delved into further research the previous evening; instead, I had fallen into bed, exhausted but content. Today, I would eagerly resume my quest to unravel more about my bracelets and their unique magic.

A noise caught my attention, causing me to freeze. Cautiously, I slipped out of my room, my hand gripping the hilt of my Zanpakuto. The aroma of fried eggs made me curious. Feeling slightly more at ease, I traversed the hallway and pushed open the door to the kitchen.

"Good morning!"

"Rangiku?"

My old friend skillfully slid the fried egg from the pan onto plates.

"You've slept in late. Quick, have something to eat, and then back to work!"

"Rangiku, what are you doing here?"

"I brought her." Startled, I spun around to find Byakuya emerging from my living room. Behind him, I spotted Shin, seated on the floor, engrossed in a thick book. He waved briefly at me before returning to his reading.

"We thought we'd help you make progress," Byakuya explained casually, shrugging his shoulders.

I felt a lump in my throat. "But this is—"

"Yes, yes, dangerous, we know! But we're still going to help you. You can't deny us that, especially after all you've been through recently on my account." Rangiku's expression turned sad, and she slumped her shoulders.

"You couldn't have foreseen what happened. It's solely my fault."

"No, Akari. You're not to blame for Aizen's actions. But if I had been stronger, he wouldn't have been able to drug me and extract information about the whereabouts of Miaka and Mana. It's my fault. If it weren't for you, Yoruichi, and Shin..." Rangiku shook her head.

"It's my fault as well," Byakuya chimed in, prompting a puzzled look from Rangiku.

"Since Hisana's death, I've been closing my eyes and keeping my distance. If I had been more vigilant, maybe I could have prevented him from abducting you, Matsumoto."

Rangiku gave Byakuya a sad smile. "Enough with the blame game. None of us is at fault, except Aizen."

"Thank you, guys," I managed to say with a choked voice. Byakuya affectionately squeezed my arm, and we exchanged a meaningful glance that conveyed more than words ever could. Over the years, we had drifted apart, grown distant, but that was in the past now. Whatever happened, Aizen wouldn't destroy our friendship.

We sat down together for breakfast, and I shared my plan to visit Sato later that day.

"Are you sure we can trust him?"

I shrugged. "I've decided to trust him, but I'll be more cautious about certain things. We should establish a code word," I suggested, earning puzzled looks. Only Byakuya seemed to grasp it immediately.

"A kind of password to ensure we're really talking to each other and not one of Aizen's illusions?"

"Exactly. But we shouldn't rely too much on it since we don't know how effective Aizen's hypnosis is."

"Let's reverse it," Shin proposed, confusing me as well.

"How, reverse?"

"Well, if we use a code word every time we meet, there's a risk someone else might catch on. We should create a code that one of us uses when they feel something's amiss. It should be something that sounds ordinary and won't arouse suspicion in outsiders."

I nodded in appreciation of Shin's suggestion, and even Byakuya, despite his usual aversion to Shin's boisterous nature, regarded him with approval.

"What do you propose, then?"