Chapter 7: How Everything Falls Apart

As the years passed, Byakuya grew into adulthood. He finally found that one person whom he never wanted to let go of. I had described to him the feeling I had for Kisuke. He had never understood it until Hisana entered his life. He had brought her from Rukongai, and each of us knew that this went against all the rules Byakuya usually staunchly defended.

The fact that he now bypassed these rules proved how important she was to him. Byakuya was fortunate to have significant influence as the head of one of the largest noble houses. With my family supporting him and also the Shihoin family, who surely stood by us, no one dared to accuse Byakuya.

Hisana herself was a charming being. However, sometimes I wanted to shake her. She revered Byakuya and me so much that she couldn't help but address us with formalities. "Miyazaki-Sama," that's how they always addressed my mother, but me?

She always spoke to Byakuya with utmost politeness, and he was, after all, her husband (when I playfully addressed Kisuke in the same manner once, he raised his eyebrows and asked if I had drunk too much).

After some time, Hisana told me that she had already heard of me in Rukongai. It seemed I had earned a certain reputation there, which I wasn't really aware of until that day. The story about Mana had spread, but also some other small deeds I had done for the people in Rukongai.

"The other captains never leave their safe walls; they don't see the injustice out there," Hisana had once cursed and immediately feared they would kick her out for it. But she wasn't entirely wrong. Many of the other captains didn't care about Rukongai.

The day Byakuya and Hisana got married was a very special one for me. We all celebrated the day, together with our families and friends. Yamachi was Byakuya's best man, and I had rarely seen him prouder. Most of all, I had never seen Byakuya so happy before. 

Hisana's dress was a blend of traditional garments and modern fabrics, and I had to restrain myself from staring at her incessantly. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I wondered if I too would step before an altar in such a dress one day.

But I knew that Kisuke and I were not yet ready for that yet. Byakuya might have taken more time if the laws of Seireitei had not questioned Hisana's stay. However, as his wife, she enjoyed a certain protection. My heart burst with joy for Byakuya, and I felt as if we were all one big family that was steadily growing.

Years went by, and the duties of being a captain began to show their shadow work. From mundane everyday tasks to stressful decisions, phases alternated where we had either too much or too little to do. Yet, I never truly felt challenged.

Kisuke had founded the research institute, which I found quite good, but it took a lot of his time and energy. Additionally, he had brought in a former criminal from his prison: Mayuri Kurotsuchi. I felt uncomfortable in his presence, but Kisuke insisted that he was an absolute genius and that he urgently needed him for his research.

He even promoted Mayuri to the vice director of the research department. I didn't want to lecture Kisuke, so I just asked him to be cautious. Even Yoruichi agreed with me that Mayuri couldn't be trusted.

I spent a lot of time with her too; she was a refreshing change among the captains, where I didn't have to mince words and could just say what I thought.

Nine years passed.

--

It was rainy evening, we were gathered together in my chambers, celebrating our anniversary as captains. We had just finished the cake and were sampling a wine Kisuke had discovered when there was a knock at the door. Rangiku opened it, and from the way she stiffened, I could tell that it was no ordinary visitor.