Chapter 8: I Will Wait For You

As I strolled across the square, I could feel my heart growing heavier. An uneasy feeling washed over me, even though I knew what was unfolding. At that precise moment, Yoruichi stealthily infiltrated Central 46 disguised, intent on freeing Tessai and Kisuke. Meanwhile, I greeted as many people as I could as I wandered through the area.

"Akari," I heard a whisper and saw Rangiku walking beside me. She looked at me with a sad expression, and I let out a sigh.

"It's okay," I muttered, but she seemed not only concerned but also curious. After all, she didn't know exactly what had happened, only having heard about the arrest.

Should I tell her the truth? That her best friend had allied with a deranged vice-captain to experiment on Shinigami with Hollowfication and then framed it on my boyfriend? However, I knew it wasn't the right place or time to discuss it openly. My thoughts were swirling. Why had Gin joined Aizen? What did he hope to gain from it? Clearly, I wasn't entirely insignificant to him, or he wouldn't have gone to the trouble of incapacitating me with sleeping powder. He wanted to protect me, keep me out of the situation.

"I don't want to involve you in this," I recalled his words when he left me back then.

Now, I understood them. Understood that he had decided back then to keep me out of his life to protect me. But he had allowed Kisuke to be pulled into this, and I wouldn't forgive him for that.

"Akari," another whisper, Byakuya had joined us. He gave Rangiku an expectant look, and she moved away from us, allowing Byakuya and me to talk privately.

We stood in the middle of the square, where everyone could see us, yet we had the opportunity to speak undisturbed.

"I suspect, they're innocent?" he asked quietly, and I nodded. Byakuya respected the law; he couldn't stand for it to be broken.

"However, all evidence will be against them," I whispered. Even as Yoruichi and I had relocated Shinji and the others, Mayuri told us that rumors were circulating: Tessai and Kisuke were accused of conducting experiments on Hollowfication. All of Aizen's crimes were attributed to them, and there were incredibly many witnesses. Carefully, I explained everything I knew to Byakuya.

He listened attentively, his face contorting as if he couldn't bear this injustice.

"Aizen can hypnotize..." he mumbled thoughtfully, and I nodded. Byakuya was still my best friend, and I couldn't bear to withhold the truth from him.

"It looks bad for them," he admitted now, appearing troubled. Then, a commotion erupted, startling us with its noise.

"ALARM, ALARM! Two convicted criminals have escaped from Central Chamber 46! ALARM! Pursue and capture the fugitives, highest priority, pursue and capture!" the voice repeated these phrases over and over, as everyone around began to run frantically.

"Are you alright?" I asked Byakuya, who had a pained expression on his face.

"This is a task beneath the level of captains," he muttered, and we turned around, strolling casually.

"Someday, we'll get Aizen for this. Crime never pays."

Those words echoed in my mind for a long time. I looked at him gratefully for a moment as a hell butterfly announced a meeting of the captains. We made our way to the First Division, and soon the remaining captains stood in a room.

Yamamoto-Genryusai, Ukitake, Kyouraku, Kenpachi, Unohana, Byakuya, and myself.

A handful of vice-captains stood in another corner of the room; it felt incredibly empty. While the Captain-Commander explained to everyone what had happened, I had to restrain myself from pouncing on Aizen.