Chapter 6: The Dream All Along

The day of the examination had arrived.

There were multiple examination segments, and ironically, the first part I had looked forward to the most was the one that disappointed me the most. For the first time, we were allowed to engage in a real battle in the world of the living.

We visited a town where Hollows were causing trouble, but they posed no challenge to any of us. Within a few hours, we were back at the academy.

The subsequent examination sections were similar to our midterm exams the previous year, except that a representative from each Gotei 13 company was present to observe and evaluate the candidates.

Each examinee could express preferences for which company they would like to be assigned to, but I was undecided, so I did not make a wish.

The examinations were much longer and more intense than any before, as we had to perform various tasks in different areas. Not only Kido and swordsmanship, but also healing abilities, organization, authority, personnel leadership, and documentation. Overall, all exam segments lasted two days, and I remember that after the last part, we all sat on a bench waiting for our results.

Several others sat around us, sharing with each other how they had solved each task. We had agreed not to utter a word about our exams, and everyone respected that.

"Kuchiki, Byakuya," was the first one of us to be called. A young Shinigami holding a large parchment in his hand scrutinized Byakuya with open curiosity as he made his way to the examination committee. I briefly squeezed his shoulder, before he went inside.

For a while, nothing happened, then the young Shinigami returned, calling out a few other people I vaguely knew. Eventually, he read out, "Matsumoto, Rangiku."

She swallowed and took a deep breath before she too disappeared into the dark hallway. The waiting was the worst.

"Miyazaki, Akari," I clenched my fists to press out the nervousness from my fingers. Yamachi and Kisuke nodded encouragingly, and I followed the path that Rangiku and Byakuya had already taken.

I found myself in the examination room, observing the representatives of the different companies scribbling on their papers.

"Miyazaki, Akari," I was greeted by Choujirou Sasakibe, the Vice Commander of the first unit, who was leading this session. It was my first encounter with him.

"Your results were excellent, only your healing skills could be further developed. Anyway, we have rated your abilities equivalent to that of an officer in the fourth rank, and the tenth company desires you in their ranks," he nodded to an older man whom I recognized as Ivan Youru. He was the third officer of the Tenth Company, holding the currently highest position in the company.

It had been a while since the Tenth Company had a captain or vice-captain.

"Do you accept this position?" Sasakibe asked me, and it took me a brief moment to find my voice again, as I still didn't quite grasp what I had just heard.

"Yes, I—I do," I said, astonished at how firm my voice sounded.

Ivan Youru smiled at me. He stood up, grabbed a bundle, and approached me.

"Welcome to the Tenth," he said kindly, handing me the bundle. I realized it was my Shinigami uniform along with a wooden badge bearing the insignia of the Tenth Company and the fourth officer.

I swallowed and accepted the bundle.

"Thank you, I'm excited," I admitted, and he instructed me to go to the barracks of the tenth unit. I left the room and took a deep breath. Then I followed his instructions until I arrived at a large room. I slowly pushed the door open and recognized two more people holding a similar bundle in their arms as I did, crouching on the floor.