Chapter 9: Promotion and Judgment

The days trickled past me like a slow-motion river.

I knew not what to do with myself. Rangiku took on the bulk of my duties, and I merely existed. I felt lifeless, somehow hollow, like a doll.

The only emotion that stirred and multiplied within me was anger, whenever I crossed paths with Aizen, Tousen, or Gin. I couldn't bear to look Gin in the eyes anymore.

He even tried to speak with me, his grin as ever, but before he could complete a sentence, I slapped him. He was taken aback, but he quickly regained composure and followed after me.

"Akari, why don't you switch sides?" His question was so unsettling that I couldn't find an answer.

"I should WHAT?" I asked, not caring that some nearby onlookers regarded us with concern.

"Honestly, what we're doing is not what you think. If you join us, you can ensure nothing happens to your friends, and besides, we will create a new world."

I gasped, create a new world?

I didn't understand what he was talking about.

"Perhaps you should have thought about switching sides instead of betraying your friends. Create a new world? That's a laugh! I want nothing to do with you and your lot," I hissed angrily, before swiftly walking away.

Had I known at that moment that Aizen had overheard this conversation, I might have reacted differently. I suspect that was the moment he devised his plan.

It was a few days later; a cool wind whistled through the corridors, tousling my dark hair.

"Akari..." It was Rangiku, she looked at me sadly. She still didn't know the whole truth, but what she knew was enough. I couldn't bring myself to tell her the truth about Gin. We cooked something together in silence and ate without saying a word. But when she had finished eating, she abruptly set her fork down on the table and seemed suddenly nervous.

"There's a rumor about a new captain for the fifth division," I nodded, uninterested.

"Who have they suggested?" I poked at my food, feeling her watch me intently.

"Sosuke Aizen."

I dropped the fork, and for a moment, all that could be heard was the ticking of the small clock on the wall.

"What's wrong?" Rangiku asked, and my gaze must have told her more than my words.

"I can't stand Aizen." It was no lie.

"He's involved in this, isn't he?" she asked, and I nodded slowly.

"I understand. So Gin is also entangled in this." Her voice quivered, and though it wasn't a question, she waited for my reaction. Again, I nodded, and her gaze drifted into the distance.

"I won't press you, but if you ever want to tell me... I'll listen."

I was glad to have her.

It felt good to have someone you could trust, someone you could rely on.

"What about the other captain positions?"

In the past few days, I had skipped some meetings; I knew I couldn't keep this up for long.

"Soifon is set to take the second division," I nodded, thankful that I had asked Byakuya to submit the proposal. I suspected that at the moment, I wasn't considered completely sane.

"The third division will remain open for the time being... Oh yes, for the seventh division, there's talk of this Komamura, that giant guy with the mask, and for the ninth division, this Tousen. A blind Shinigami, but an amazingly good fighter. Oh, and for the twelfth division, it's likely to be the eerie Mayuri."