The Babysitter

The scene opens with a shot of the UNSC Destroyer DD-993, which then moves to the mess hall where a squad of ODSTs are talking. Another soldier, Berger, sees them and tries to listen in on them.

"Hey, easy there, Berger!" A Marine calls out. "What do you think you're doing?"

"What?" Berger calls back.

"They're Helljumpers! Every one of those guys are ODSTs from the 105th! They're in a whole different league. Let's go!"

"Aw come on! I wanna hear what they're saying!"

"No."The Marine drags Berger away by his collar while the ODSTs converse.

One of them, O'Brien, is clearly upset about something. "I don't get it. How the hell did everybody forget that I'm the best shot this side of Eridanus? Getting assigned a backup is a bunch of BS!"

Cortez sits down at the table.

"Contingency." Dutch states. "It's an important mission. If the first sniper misses the target, they take the shot."

"I don't miss. I never miss! This sucks and you know it! I'm nobody's babysitter. Especially not some farm-boy moose hunter!"

Cortez then speaks up. "I hate to be the one to break the bad news, but you weren't selected to be the primary shooter on this mission. So it seems they want your "farm-boy" to do it? I guess that makes you the backup. Sorry, O'Brien."

"I'm the backup?!" O'Brien shouts.

"And the shooter... is a Spartan."

"What?" Dutch says in surprise.

"And that means this mission... just got escalated." Cortez states.

The troopers are shocked to hear that they'll be conducting a mission with a SPARTAN.

Later on, the squad is briefed by an officer and Cortez, with the SPARTAN present.

The Officer explains the mission. "This is Spartan Cal-141,  who will be the ranking officer on this mission. I realize that is highly unusual, and you have strong feelings about SPARTANs. You will keep those feelings out of the mission and follow the plan. Satellite recon shows radar and magnetic signatures on Heian in the Ark Star Cluster. 

These signatures indicate a complex of buildings. It's a logistical base. The Prophet you are targeting is in control of this entire sector. Our mission is simple. We want this Prophet dead. We take out the Prophet, we will take out the Covenant chain of supply. If we achieve the goal of this mission, we will be able to buy ourselves months of tactical advantage. And we will do all of this with minimal risk to the . Other than to this group, of course. Cortez! Fill them in on the details."

The screen shows the target planet, Heian, as Cortez takes over the briefing.

"Alright, we'll be flying into the atmosphere with the Leonid-class meteor shower." Cortez informs. "Meteor showers of this nature are a regular occurrence on this planet, so that means entry and landing should go unnoticed. Calculations show that reaching the target will take a fourteen-hour fast march from your entry point. Once you reach the target, you will take out the prophet as soon as he steps off that ship. Then you are to gather all data relating on the unidentified alien ruins."