Chapter 1

"At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman."

― Albert Camus 

------------------------------

2013

As I felt the sun hit my face, I got up without delay, searching for my phone as I made my way to the living room.

When I opened the door, I noticed Will, who closed his book as soon as he saw me. His dark circles were so pronounced that I could see them from afar.

"It's okay, you can go to sleep. I'll take over." I informed him as he nodded.

As I started buttoning up my blouse and tying my hair into a roughly done ponytail, I heard Will sigh as I saw him stand up.

"You're lucky, working for Homeland Security. It's an easy gig in there." Will remarked as I let out a tired sigh.

"You think so? I'm swamped... I preferred when I worked for the CIA, at least I didn't feel like dying there." I replied, almost calmly as he placed his book on the coffee table, a slight smile betraying his amusement.

"That's just because you don't wanna run into your ex..." he implied as I rolled my eyes, deeming it more useful at that moment to direct my attention to my equipment than his painfully well-placed remark.

"How long has it been since you last saw him? Seven years?" he finally asked as I turned to face him, slightly amused that he was more interested in my ex than myself.

"What, you want his number?" I questioned in return, with a semi-ironic tone, as he started to chuckle.

I quickly put on my boots and grabbed my leather jacket, sitting on the doorstep to tie my laces.

He sighed.

"I'm not interested in him. Just saying that now if you were to run into him... He would prolly be surprised." he replied, causing my smile to fade quickly.

I found myself staring at my hands without even realizing it, feeling as if, at that moment, they were covered in a deep crimson.

"Lucy, you okay?"

I quickly shook my head.

"Yes! Sorry, I was lost in thought. What were you saying?" I asked him as I stood up, handing him his badge as I grabbed the car keys from the entryway cabinet.

"Are you sure?" he asked again as I stared at him for a moment, already trying to figure out what prompted his question.

I finally nodded, a slight smile on my lips.

"Yes... I'll send you a message when I'm available."

------------------------------

"20 minutes before the president's arrival." I heard in my earpiece as I continued patrolling the hallways of the university, signaling the students to clear the way as I followed suit.

Judging by their faces don't seem thrilled about the idea of seeing the president at a conference.

I mean, he sold himself as the youth of America when he's old as fuck.

As I inspected the last room on my route, I heard a piano melody in the distance.

Curious, I decided to stop, widening my eyes as the melody continued to sing on and on.

That's when a loud thunderclap struck the campus courtyard, almost making me jump. As I instinctively turned my gaze towards the window, I saw the sky turning black, which was far from normal considering it was only 5 PM.