Chapter 2

"You cannot create experience. You must undergo it."
― Albert Camus

---------------------------------------------------------------------

With my eight years of experience as an agent, if there was one thing I had learned well, it was to never hesitate. And yet, on that day when I thought I had grasped almost everything due to my eventful career, he, the man whom I was supposed to know everything about since we had loved each other for several years, deliberately chose to abandon this basic rule, dragging me along with him.

I sighed as I let my hair down, wanting to release my frustration at that moment as I tied it back again, my fingers clenched.

It's really the pot calling the kettle black.

And as the lights went out and I heard Leon and Helena complaining about it, I listened carefully until I heard what seemed to be the sound of flesh tearing.

Now!

Protected by the darkness, I quickly drew my knife and slit Liz's putrefied throat, my eyes adjusting to the darkness once my act was done.

The virus had obviously "taken advantage" of the darkness to finish her off, while her father's body, which had been perfectly fine just a few seconds ago, lay mutilated on the ground.

I turned to Leon, hostile.

"Why didn't you let me do it?" I asked, in a falsely calm tone as I wiped the blade of my knife, which was stained with bright red, on the deceased father's jacket.

As I stood up and put away my knife, I met Leon's gaze, who had obviously decided to take his time to respond.

"It's what he would've wanted." he finally stated, causing my eyebrows to furrow in surprise as I felt like I was facing someone I didn't know.

Good to know that I could have died nine years ago.

I eventually stepped back and leaned against the wall, deciding not to say anything since I knew it would be useless to do so, preferring to listen to the muffled screams intensify as the elevator descended into the underground.

"Helena, draw your weapon." Leon ordered as the door opened, and a horde of zombies charged at us from the other side.

I quickly made my way through the horde with a well-placed kick, causing some of them to stumble, and advanced into the underground parking, hoping to find some fresh air.

It's infested down here too...

That's when I remembered that I had parked my car precisely in this parking lot, and as I looked towards the supposed exit gate, I sighed when I realized it was not possible to escape through here. About twenty zombies had already gathered there, smashing the gate like a horde of children who didn't get their Halloween candies.

As I refocused on the present moment and easily neutralized the few infected who dared to come too close, I shivered slightly as I felt a cool breeze brush against the back of my neck.

The air is getting colder... I should grab my jacket.

"So, did you find anything?" Helena asked me as I shook my head in refusal, searching for my car keys in my pocket. As I inserted the key into the door to retrieve my leather jacket, I glanced briefly at Leon, who had just sent a zombie flying through a car windshield with a magnificent spinning kick.