Chapter 8

"I have no idea what's awaiting me, or what will happen when this all ends. For the moment I know this: there are sick people and they need curing."

---------------------------------------------------

I let out a slight groan of pain as I landed on my rear end after my long and painful descent from the garbage chute. I furrowed my brows slightly as Leon extended his hand to help me up, refusing to take it as I got up on my own without difficulty, gently brushing off the dirt from my knees.

If there was one thing I preferred to avoid at that moment, it was expending energy to think about how I should behave towards Leon, who seemed to have chosen to show camaraderie towards me. Getting attached was the worst possible outcome right now, so I wanted to keep my distance.

As Helena, seemingly wanting to get ahead, gave me a questioning look, I nodded my head, letting her go ahead. On the way, I started unbuttoning the sleeves of my blouse to roll them up, finding it strangely hot considering the place we were in.

"Why can't you fill us in yet?" Leon finally asked as we stepped into a shallow patch of icy water, causing me to grimace for a moment as I felt the cold burning my toes for a few minutes.

It'll be fine, Lucy...

"Because you probably wouldn't believe me. That's why I want to show you." Helena replied vaguely.

I sighed, too focused on my current discomfort to comment on anything, even though I had things to say.

« And when I do, you'll have all the answers and proof you'll need."

I looked ahead as I passed Helena and took the lead, hoping to quickly reach the end of this icy path.

"So, back at that lab... that tape..." Leon began to ask as I quickly glanced at him, understanding from the tone of his voice and the wary expression on his face that he was addressing Helena.

I sighed, lightly biting my lip as I realized that the cassette had also left a bitter taste in my mouth for multiple reasons, including Ada being inside.

Anyone would be troubled... But Leon didn't hide it, which deepens the mystery, in the end...

Yet he's one of the least expressive people I know.

"With your friend in it? What's the story on her, anyway?" She asked in return as we arrived in what seemed to be a crypt, given the macabre and damp smell seeping through the stone bricks.

I paused for a moment, pretending to catch my breath when all I wanted was to be able to follow the conversation properly, which, despite myself, had intrigued me.

"Look. If you want answers, you should be prepared to give a couple yourself." Leon replied to her, his tone so nonchalant and icy that his suspicion towards her was no longer in doubt.

The cassette had definitely shattered the trust that had been established within our "little group".

"You're right. That's only fair, I guess. What about you, Lucy? What are you up to?" She responded, stopping to give me a direct look, to which I didn't react at the moment. However, when I noticed that Leon had also stopped, saying nothing despite staring at me, I understood that Helena's remark had managed to pique his curiosity.

Even though my response was already prepared, largely thanks to my years of experience working for the CIA, I felt a strange shiver. As if my subconscious was giving in to the guilt of having to lie to someone who had once held such an important place in my heart.