Chapter 4

"I don't want to go to heaven. None of my friends are there."

---------------------------------------------------

As we had just crossed a good part of the city to reach what seemed to be a bar, I let myself fall to have a few moments of serenity while Leon and Helena entered, closing the door behind them.

My ribs were hurting, I was tired and hungry.

But I think the worst part of it all was finding myself in a situation that overwhelmed me, unable to convince myself that this ordeal could have any resolution.

My thoughts were bitter, and my heart beat so strangely that I didn't even feel it anymore.

"Bloody hell..." I murmured as I tried to get up slightly, frantically running my hands through my hair.

That's when I realized that my hair tie had simply disappeared, and besides the risk of dying, it was highly likely that I would burn my scalp because of the embers.

I quickly stood up, more motivated at that moment by the idea of finding my hair tie than by getting out of there alive.

If I have to die, I might as well die looking pretty.

"Is this what you're looking for?" I heard Leon say as I quickly turned to him, my pupils dilating at the sight of what seemed to be a hair tie.

I nodded quickly, heading towards him to retrieve what was rightfully mine, without even noticing that he had started to smile.

"Thank you..." I uttered timidly.

I quickly re-tied my hair, letting my eyes drift to the floor as I let out a sigh of remorse.

"Leon, Lucy. I found a way out at the back, you coming?" I heard Helena say as Leon and I exchanged a glance, strangely amused by her energy.

Not wanting to make her impatient, we ended up following her out of the bar, making our way to what seemed to be a small apartment.

"The Navy submarine went missing on the 26th of this month, at 11:27 P.M." the voice on the TV announced as we examined the living room.

I smiled sadly at the sight of a family who seemed to be peacefully asleep despite the fact that they had all perished.

I ended up turning my head, finding myself too empathetic for a situation where I shouldn't be.

They could wake up and attack us...

That's what I tried to tell myself until I saw a key sticking out of the pocket of the girl lying on the sofa.

In the distance, I could hear Leon complain.

"Dammit, it's locked." he announced as I quickly understood what he was referring to.

I calmly grabbed the key, being careful not to make any sudden movements, while keeping an eye on the others as I stood up.

"Lucy, behind you!" Helena shouted as I drew my weapon, promptly shooting the one who had just woken up in the head, causing him to fall.

As I handed the key to Leon and prepared to leave the room, I couldn't help but glance back at the living room.

He turned so quickly...

Behind the door leading outside, and therefore our next path, I spotted the corpse of a special forces soldier, armed with a shotgun.

"Leon, take it." I signaled to him as he glanced at the corpse, sighing as he picked up the shotgun to examine it.

"Thanks. It'll come in handy." he nodded as I timidly smiled in response.