Chapter 15

We had just finished a fierce battle against that strange creature, which, according to Sherry and Jake, hadn't left them alone for a moment. Barely landed, we had already faced a huge fight, and my instinct had already convinced me that it wouldn't be the last, especially given the neighboring atmosphere. A radio tower had fallen, separating us from the young duo, and a natural silence settled in, with only the crackling of nearby flames stopping us from breaking it.

As I holstered my sidearm, I glanced at Leon and Helena, who seemed to have already decided to continue on their way.

"Leon, do you read me?" Hunnigan's voice echoed through the communications, to which Leon responded after a few moments.

"Hunnigan?" He asked in return, taking a moment before starting his walk. I couldn't help but contemplate him, with his usual impassiveness, a fascination that I ignored at the moment.

Hunnigan sighed.

"You went dark after the plane went down. I linked in a minute ago, but you weren't picking me up. Listen, the building agent Birkin mentioned isn't far off. Just stick to your current route, OK?" She suggested quickly as I felt my phone vibrate.

Taking advantage of the fact that Leon and Hunnigan were still in conversation, I pulled it out, glancing furtively at what appeared on the screen, and ended up blinking several times when I understood, from the content of the message, who the sender was.

Why is she sending me a message... to me?

"Got it. Thanks." Leon concluded as a strange silence followed. It took me a moment to realize that it was me they were waiting for, and I hurried to put away my phone.

"Sorry, it's all good," I said, a slight smile on my lips as I saw Leon nod without asking anything.

As we entered the market, the smell of death violently penetrated our nostrils, causing me to cover the lower half of my face with my hand until I adapted to the stench.

"You alright?" Leon asked calmly as I shook my head, quickly refocusing on the moment thanks to the calmness of his voice.

"I know it's not supposed to smell like roses, but still..." I half-complained, letting out a painful sigh.

"Sherry said she was meeting Simmons in the Kwun Lung building. The first thing you're gonna need to do is to cut through the outdoor market ahead," Hunnigan informed us as we all exchanged afflicted looks.

"When duty calls..." Leon complained as we progressed through the open-air market until we heard a shrill cry from a man. I nervously scanned the surroundings, gun drawn, slightly on edge.

"What was that?" Helena finally asked as Leon chuckled nervously.

"...Trouble."

That's when we found a body nearby, seeming to match our screamer from not even a minute ago, with a huge wound in the abdomen.

The type of wounds you don't survive.

As I knelt next to him and tried to find a pulse regardless, I felt my voice tremble as I tried to speak.

"But what killed him?" I asked as Helena shrugged, visibly puzzled too.

"Oh great. Three separate locks." Leon commented, prompting us to automatically stand up to see for ourselves.

It's a reinforced door... We won't be able to break it down.

"Jesus. All right, let's just figure out a way to open it." Helena suggested, to which I acquiesced in response.

I pulled out my phone and scanned the area map, quickly managing to geolocate the keys thanks to the wonderful power of technology.

Suddenly my gaze was drawn to the pile of corpses on our left, with a pig's head that had begun to move of its own accord, causing us to recoil in fear.