Chapter 9

"A good friend will always stab you in the front."

-------------------

As the ground collapsed once again, I found myself alone with Leon.

"I'm getting tired of falling..." I complained as I quickly got up, trying to ignore the pain that had settled in my whole body.

With tonight's adventures, it was highly likely, even evident, that I had several bruises considering how fragile my skin was.

"Ada! Helena! A little help here?" Leon shouted towards Ada and Helena as I looked in their direction, letting them lead the way while several infected beings started blocking our path.

Despite our shots, they kept coming, and hope was what I lacked the most.

Continuing our relentless descent while waiting for the cart that Helena and Ada had boarded to descend, the ground kept trembling over and over again, hindering my movements.

Oh, really...!

As I tried to lean on the edge, carefully checking where I placed my feet to avoid stumbling, I felt Leon's arm wrap around my shoulders.

"But...?!" I exclaimed as he looked straight ahead, starting to pull me along so that I wouldn't slow down our pace.

"Sorry, but we don't have time to linger around!" he commented as I sighed, finally accepting my fate as we continued our march.

After jumping off that unstable platform, we finally found ourselves on solid ground.

Noticing a zombie turning a strange crank, I slit its throat, waiting for Leon to arrive and activate it.

By the time he arrived, the cart containing Helena and Ada had been moved thanks to my feeble strength, and I had climbed aboard.

"All aboard!" he finally exclaimed as he joined me, and the cart started moving without delay.

It's strange that we didn't need to pull a lever, but oh well...

As the cart began to descend a slope that seemed to lead straight to the gates of hell, I held on for dear life.

"Let's hope this is a non-stop ride outta here." Leon commented, with such confidence that I envied him for a brief moment.

His ability to stay calm amidst the chaos was one of his legendary qualities, after all.

"I wouldn't count on it." Ada calmly replied.

As the cart continued to descend through all sorts of paths, Deborah reappeared.

Despite Helena's cries and screams, we had to open fire multiple times, as death was the least desirable outcome in such situations.

Just as Deborah disappeared after a final barrage of bullets, the cart started to fall.

...!

I landed on the same platform as Leon and noticed that Ada was hanging onto the edge. I quickly reacted by extending my hand to help her up.

If someone had told me I would be helping my ex's former crush like this, I wouldn't have believed it.

As Deborah dangerously approached Helena, who was in a helpless state, unable to get up, I locked eyes with Leon as he repeatedly pulled the trigger to neutralize her.

His shots were enough to destabilize her, and as she approached the edge of the platform, leading to the void, Helena caught her hand in mid-air to prevent her from falling.