Chapter 4 - After Effects

As I floored the gas pedal at full speed, the drugs began to seep into my system, their effects slowly taking hold. Unaware of the impending disorientation, I cranked up the volume of the car stereo, reveling in the pulsating beat and the sensation of wind rushing through my hair.

Nate's voice cut through the music, a note of concern edging into his tone. "Vee, you're going way too fast. You need to slow down."

But I was lost in the thrill of the moment, my inhibitions stripped away by the drugs. I paid little heed to his warnings and continued to push the pedal harder.

"Seriously, Vee, you're overspeeding! Give me the wheel," Nate pleaded, reaching for the steering wheel. I just laughed, thinking it was all a game. Nate leaned over, wrestling with me for control of the wheel.

My vision blurred, and the road ahead became a chaotic swirl of colors and lights. The car was careening out of control, hurtling down a narrow road flanked by ditches on both sides.

Panicking, I tried to slam the brakes, but my reaction was too slow, the drugs impairing my reflexes. In the final moments, I saw the car veer dangerously close to the edge of the road. The car lurched into the ditch, and then everything went dark.

I wake up in the hospital room with my sister's face looking over me.

"Dad! She's awake", she screams, calling over my father. Although I was numb, my head hurt a little as I came to my senses. My father hurries close to me and holds my hand.

"How are you feeling, Vee?"

"I think I'm okay. Where's Nate?"

"He's fine. You both were incredibly lucky. Somebody found you really soon and called 911. How did this happen? And the doctor said you were on drugs? Did that bastard drug you?". I could see he was angry.

"No. It was all my fault."

"I don't think so. Stop protecting him. The police found drugs in his car. You both would have been in big trouble, if only his parents were not rich enough to close the case. What were you thinking? You almost gave me a heart attack."

"I'm sorry, Dad. I..."

"Don't talk. I'm disappointed. We'll talk at home", he said,walking away from me leaving me to ponder alone.

The night started coming back to me. I made too many mistakes in one night. I shouldn't have fought with Tyler, i shouldn't have left the party, or take drugs, or drive. Everything catapulted into a night that was pointed towards disaster. I could notice a few cuts and bruises here and there, but like dad said, we were just lucky, someone saved us soon.

Soon, Tyler and Natalie entered the room, panicked and sweating from head above.

"I heard what happened. We kept calling you both and we got so worried. Thank god, you're okay."

"I'm sorry, Ty. I shouldn't have fought with you and left."

"Shh. Let's not talk about that now", he said, sitting beside me and holding my hand. "I'm really glad you're okay."

His presence calmed me but I my guilt for putting us in this position started eating me up slowly. The next day, I was released from the hospital and taken home. The memories of that night rushed back to me—the arguments, the drugs, the reckless driving. I had made too many mistakes in one night.

Once I was home, I was grounded, unable to go out anywhere. My dad didn't trust me anymore, not after what I had put myself through. Days turned into a blur of Netflix thrillers and comfort food as I tried to push the memories away. But the panic and guilt continued to gnaw at me. I began cutting off people, starting with my family, then Tyler, and everyone else.

One day, my dad tried to talk to me, concerned about my behavior. I lashed out, screaming that he could never understand me like my mom did. His suggestion of seeing a therapist only fueled my anger, and I withdrew even further.

Then, one day, a letter arrived from the University I had dreamed of attending. Excitement coursed through me as I tried to open it with my dad, but my elation quickly turned to despair. My dream University had deferred my admission by one semester. It felt like a rejection, a cruel blow after everything I had been through.

Tears welled up as I threw the letter down and ran to my room. My dad followed, and I could feel his presence outside my door. He kept knocking on my door and checking upon me, asking me if I could talk to him, but I was just too broken and embarrassed and upset to talk about it.

Eventually, I couldn't resist my hunger any longer. I crept downstairs when I thought everyone was asleep to find some leftovers in the fridge, and my dad caught me. We sat side by side as I ate a cold slice of pizza in silence. Then, he spoke softly.

"I know how much you were expecting from the University. I know that it was your dream College. But you need to know that it's not entirely bad news. You have a lot of options, Vee. This isn't the end. You can still choose to go to this University next semester or pick another one. Brown isn't such a bad University, you know?"

He was right, but it was all so overwhelming, and the timing felt wrong. I felt powerless and out of control, but I couldn't give up on my dreams. I needed to keep going, even if it meant a longer wait.

Beside our dining table, there was a small table with an urn containing my mother's ashes, surrounded by photos of her and our family. I couldn't imagine what my grandparents were going through. I had only spoken to them a couple of times since my mom's passing, as every conversation with them felt like reopening a wound. They were the only link I had left to my mom, and sometimes, it felt like I didn't know her as well as I thought I did.

I remembered Nate's idea of a change of scenery. All this while, I was running away from the memory of mom. But I was wrong. That night, the idea of going to India started forming in my mind. I wanted to meet my mom's family, my grandparents, and my extended family and relatives. I thought it might help me find some closure and understanding, and it would be a change of scenery, a chance to heal.

"Dad, what do you think about visiting India?"

"I don't know, dear. Your sister has school and I..."

"I'll go alone. If that's okay."

My dad considered this for a moment and said. "It's not a bad idea. You need some good influence, anyway. Your grandma will be thrilled to have you."

"So, is that a yes?"

"Yes", he smiled.

So, I was going to India, to meet my grandparents after almost a decade, and my emotions were a mix of excitement and nervousness. I spent the next two weeks preparing, buying gifts for my relatives, and getting ready for the journey.

Was this a good decision? We will find out soon.