Chapter 6 - Exploring paradise

The next day, I eagerly greeted the long-awaited sight outside my window. The view was breathtaking—a serene expanse of lush green farmland that stretched towards distant hills on the horizon. It was a sight unlike anything I had ever witnessed back in the US, even though we lived in suburban areas with wooded landscapes nearby. The temperature was just perfect, a Goldilocks zone of not too cold and not too hot. I was already falling in love with this place, exactly as I had imagined. My anticipation for a fulfilling vacation here was mounting.

Still recovering from jetlag, I woke up at the crack of dawn, but to my surprise, I wasn't alone. Life in the village started early, often signaled by the crowing of roosters. Farm work commenced at the break of day to avoid the scorching sun, allowing villagers to retire early. Grandpa had promised the day before to show me our family's fields, but an unexpected emergency meeting at the Panchayat, a council of village elders responsible for community decisions, kept him occupied. Our family held a respected position in the Panchayat, known for their fairness and contributions to the village. Our extensive land holdings provided job opportunities for many local farmers.

Since Grandpa's meeting prevented our field visit, Grandma suggested that I accompany Varun and Krish to explore the fields and the rest of the village. Eager for the adventure and a chance to spend time with Varun, I readily agreed.

After savoring a hearty breakfast of steaming Idlis and chutney, we hopped into Krish's Jeep, embarking on our village exploration. Krish took the wheel, while Varun and I settled into the back.

"Do you visit here often?" I asked Varun.

"I try to come almost every weekend, and this time, I'm staying a bit longer to be part of the thiruvizha," Varun replied.

"What's a 'thiruvizha'?"

"It's a grand annual festival dedicated to the village deity. It lasts for a week, starting with events like flag hoisting and the first day of the chariot procession, guided by the village elders, including grandpa. It's a lot of fun. You'll see."

"I've got a lot to catch up on."

"Don't worry; we'll help you," Varun assured me with a supportive smile, and Krish nodded in agreement.

"Tell me about California. I've always wanted to visit LA."

"California is amazing. It can get quite hot, but I think you'll adapt easily. We have some of the best beaches and an exciting nightlife scene, although I haven't experienced much of it. We live in the suburbs, away from the city. The only time Dad takes us to the city is for the 4th of July celebrations, like your Diwali, but with a twist. We don't burst crackers; instead, we enjoy a mesmerizing fireworks show."

"Sounds interesting," Krish chimed in.

"Of course, it's different from Diwali, but it's a community event. Families gather, share food, and watch the fireworks together."

"Anything can be fun with family around, right?" Varun added.

"Yeah, Mom used to..." My voice trailed off as I unexpectedly mentioned my mother for the first time since arriving in India.

"It's okay if you're not comfortable talking about it," Varun said, offering a comforting hand.

"I just miss her a lot. But I'm fine talking about it. We used to celebrate the 4th of July as a family, packing a huge trunk with snacks and drinks, joining friends at the downtown park. We brought frisbees, basketballs, and cards, making it the best picnic of the summer. We eagerly awaited it every year."

"I'm sure it must have been fun. Now, imagine a similar gathering but with thousands of people celebrating their deity, enjoying family time, and indulging in arcade games, shopping, and entertainment. A Thiruvizha is like that, but ten times more exciting," Varun explained.