The Aftermath

WINDHAM, CONNECTICUT

June 22, 12:44 EDT

Ember walked across through the apartment threshold, dropping her bag on the entrance table. Artemis followed after, closing the door. She was worried for her sister. The funeral hadn't been easy for any of them. Ember and Dick were the ones who seemed to be affected the most, outside of Wally's family. She understood why, of course, but it didn't ease her concern.

Artemis sighed, watching as Ember wandered into the kitchen and filled the kettle with sink water. Her eyes seemed to search out the small window before Ember removed the kettle and placed it on the stovetop, turning it on to boil. Collapsing in one of the chairs at the kitchen bar, Artemis folded her hands in front of her, grey eyes focused on a sniffling Ember.

The young woman in the kitchen aimlessly trudged around, disoriented. Artemis observed her, noting her rising frustration as Ember struggled to remember the simplest things. "The cabinet next to the microwave, first shelf," the archer reminded gently.

Offering an appreciative smile that didn't reach her eyes, Ember followed the direction. Her shoulders dropped in relief as she reached for her favorite mug. This continued for several minutes, Ember having difficulty maneuvering around the kitchen while Artemis offered instructions as to where everything was.

She had never seen her sister so out-of-sorts, and frankly, Artemis did not know how else to help her. All she could think was that Wally had been there a few days ago, and suddenly, he was gone. The silence was deafening until the kettle whistled lowly. Ember carefully removed it, trying to remain out of her daze. She steeped her tea, even remembering to add honey.

Swallowing hard, Ember finally spoke, "I met her."

Artemis glanced at her curiously, the question lingering in her eyes.

"Wally's girlfriend," clarified the blonde before her.

Artemis' eyes widened, a sudden sadness now evident. It was already rough burying one of her best friends, her ex-boyfriend, but meeting his girlfriend? Artemis couldn't imagine the toll that took. From the conversations she had with Ember, Wally had never introduced them, probably due to the awkwardness it would cause. 

"Her name's Linda Park. She told me he proposed to her last week." Hot tears spilled down Ember's cheeks that she quickly wiped away. Artemis knew what she was doing, and stopped her, reaching for her sister's hand and holding it between hers.

Ember met Artemis' eyes as the archer assured softly, "Ember, we're gonna get through this..." She paused, making sure she was getting through to her. "...together." Ember sniffled again, nodding slightly as Artemis continued, "I've never let you go through things alone and I'm not about to stop now."

The blonde smiled back, a flicker of hope in her eyes before she looked down at her tea. "Thank you," she muttered back, and she genuinely believed Artemis.

WINDHAM, CONNECTICUT

June 30, 15:56 EDT

"I know you're hurting, Ember. But you know it eases the pain to talk about it."

Ember did know that. And she hated that her aunt was right.

"I feel... like I failed. Like I could've..." the young woman trailed off again. It had been happening a lot lately in her conversations with others. "...I could've stopped him."