An All-Female Squad

STAR CITY

February 17, 13:09 PDT

It was that time again when Ember could no longer stand the cluttered disaster within the hidden drawers. She shuffled through, making sure to take out everything from one drawer and place it atop the bare surface, having already moved her keyboard and mouse out of the way. Organizing the drawers in the way she liked, Ember had finished in a record time of ten minutes.

What was leftover on her desk was a photo, one she had taken out of the frame a couple of weeks prior. In the picture, she seemed so happy with a bright smile that reached her eyes. Beside her, the familiar redhead kissed her cheek with closed eyes, an arm wrapped lovingly around her shoulders. 

Exhaling softly, Ember reached for the large handbag at her feet, sliding it out from under the desk. Taking one final look, she carefully placed it in one of the inside pockets, intending to take it home to keep in a box somewhere. She heard the glass door open to the side and lifted her head up to see Oliver Queen exiting his office in a nice dark grey suit. 

"Okay, kiddo, here's the deal," he started, partly sitting on her desk. "I've got a business meeting with Derek Reston, David Hand, Bruce Wayne, Felicity Smoak, etcetera, etcetera. Just wanted to let you know that we're all going to dinner a couple of days from now, and I was wondering if you would come along."

Ember widened her eyes in surprise as she replied, "I'd be honored, Oliver. It's the least I can do after all you've done for me."

"Great! You and Dinah can go do some shopping, and it's on me," he smiled, handing over a black credit card.

"Oh, I couldn't-"

Oliver interrupted, "As your boss, you are required to accept some shopping money from me, Ember. It's practically the law."

Pursing her lips, Ember accepted the black card, mentioning, "Well, if it's the law..." Holding it between her fingers, the woman observed it with interest before declaring, "I won't tell Dinah you gave me this."

Oliver grinned gratefully and stood up to leave. He stopped and snapped his fingers, remembering, "Oh, and could you look into a few people for me? Need to make sure they're who they say they are."

Ember cocked an eyebrow, smirking as she commented, "You do know who you're talking to, right?"

"You're the best, kid," he complimented, winking at her and walking down the hall.

"I'm aware," she called after him, logging into her work computer.

Down the hallway, Oliver Queen passed by a young and anxious researcher. His brown hair was frazzled by the number of times he ran his hands through it as he tried desperately to open the locked door. Nothing could be done, and he was getting more desperate. In fact, he became so desperate, that he glanced at the fire alarm next to him and marched over to it. 

He came so close to pulling the small lever, his fingers barely brushing over the red metal when-

"Oh, I wouldn't do that if I were you," a voice spoke from behind him. He whirled around, scared to have been caught when he noticed familiar blonde locks. "Hey, Corden, long time, no see."

Shocked, Corden furrowed his brow, questioning, "What are you doing here, Miss Phillips?"

"My job," she stated as if it was obvious. "I represent Mr. Oliver Queen. That includes dealing with trash every now and again." She held up a small plastic bag with trash casually. Ember moved toward him, her high heels clicking in her wake while she inquired, "What are you doing here?"