Alienated

// SPOILERS FOR YOUNG JUSTICE SEASON TWO //

MOUNT JUSTICE

January 7, 8:16 EST

The sounds of grunting and punches resonated through the Cave. Electra, with folded arms, alongside Mal, watched as the newer team members trained. They had been paired against each other in a trio. The exercise was merely to defend oneself in a two-opponent situation without using their powers - something she discovered was helpful, given the circumstances she often found herself in. 

It gave her an idea of what each one struggled with in basic combat and how to show them other techniques. Not to mention the bet between her and Mal over who would get their butt kicked first. Of course, if someone called her out for it, she would deny it tooth and nail, no doubt about it.

"It's good to have you back, Ember." Mal nudged the woman with a grin.

Ember chuckled, jabbing a thumb at the kids on the training floor, "Tell that to them when they finish training."

The two hid their laughter as Blue Beetle dodged another attack from Shockwave, who seemed shy as he took nervous hits. The blonde woman noted his unsureness before glancing at Beast Boy near the far end of the circle, almost crossing the line as an easy escape.

"Get in there, Gar!" yelled the trainer, catching the animal shapeshifter that avoided the battle.

Just as Garfield's eyes widened in the shock of getting caught, Blue Beetle went in to punch Shockwave.

"Whoa!" the brunette boy exclaimed as Jaime missed his cheek. 

Shockwave acted quickly by taking his opponent by the arm and pulling as hard as possible, flipping Blue Beetle over his shoulder and outside the circle, rendering him out of the exercise.

Ember shouted across the room, "Good reaction, Seth!" as Blue sauntered to the two adults.

Rubbing the back of his head sheepishly, Blue stopped beside the blonde, asking, "So, Miss Phillips-"

"That makes me seem a little stuffy," she interjected quickly, ignoring Malcolm's chuckles beside her. "Why don't you just call me Ember."

"Got it. So, is there a point to all this?"

Mal grinned at the newbie, "Oh, yeah. There's definitely a point."

"Nah-uh, no way am I fighting him!" exclaimed Shockwave, earning the attention of the others.

Gar whined, preparing himself to fight, "Aw, why not?"

"Because," Seth started, pointing at the animal shapeshifter, "You'll just chicken your way out of it."

The comment made Ember smile as Shockwave stopped, remaining still with crossed arms and a firm expression.

Garfield shook his head, arguing, "No way! I promise I won't!"

Ember glanced at Mal, deeming it best to have him break up the fight. As he marched over to the two teenage boys, Blue Beetle turned to the blonde woman.