Something to Live For

*Instead of putting warnings for every chapter, I'll remind you for the last time. This book contains spoilers for Young Justice Season 2. I highly recommend you watch it so you can keep up.* 

Gotham City, New Jersey

November 16, 20:05 EST

2007

Electra shivered atop the rooftop as the chilly wind gusts picked up. The temperature had dropped drastically in the evening hours and she hadn't thought to bring a coat. Instead, the young twelve-year-old heroine had donned her dark blue and light grey uniform and a muted blue lightweight jacket. 

She had not thought through the difference in temperature between Star City in California and Gotham in New Jersey. The blonde girl crossed her arms in an attempt to keep herself warm and stood closer to her aunt beside her, who only smiled. Though Dinah, herself, was cold, she had a better way of hiding it than her niece did.

A voice cleared their throat behind them, forcing Electra's instincts to kick in. Whipping around, the sidekick lunged at the intruder, who dodged her attack, exclaiming loudly, "Whoa!"

Electra pulled back, eyes wide when she realized it was the Boy Wonder himself. He held up both hands in surrender, chest heaving from avoiding her fist.

"Hey," he greeted with a nervous chuckle, "Sorry to scare you, but I'm pretty sure we're on the same side."

Black Canary stepped forward, offering a friendly hand, "You must be Robin."

Robin nodded, shaking her hand, "Yeah, you're Black Canary." He turned to the young girl beside her, pointing out, "And you're Electra. Nice to meet you."

Electra slowly rotated her head at the sound of a cape flapping behind her. Despite the mask she wore, her eyes widened in fear at the Caped Crusader himself, hiding in the shadows behind her and Canary. To say the least, the young girl was utterly terrified of the vigilante, especially at night. No wonder Gotham City's thugs were frightened of him.

"Batman," greeted Black Canary, her demeanor casual and calm.

He stepped forward, out of the shadows to meet them, gruffly addressing, "Good to see you again, Canary. What brings you to Gotham?"

Trembling from the weather and in alarm, Electra eyed Batman carefully, her mind running curiously in circles while trying to decipher what could've possibly happened to him. No one goes out of their way to dress like a bat and take on their city's crime without something bad happening to them, right? 

The blonde girl glanced over at Robin, who met her gaze before she quickly turned away, focusing back on her aunt.

"We had a rogue split town a few weeks ago, Sean Sonus. Calls himself Discord," Canary explained, "Electra and I tracked him to a professor working at Gotham Academy."

Robin's eyes widened through his mask, his focus on Batman, who asked, "Which professor?"

"A Doctor Kirk Langstrom. He's a certified biology teacher, but specializes with a specific animal that uses echolocation."

"Bats."

Canary nodded, "Figured you'd know something more."

Robin eagerly stepped forward, almost touching Electra beside him, and offered, "We can help you catch them."