Hard Goodbyes

GOTHAM CITY, NEW JERSEY

March 20, 13:30 EDT

Artemis Lian Crock's funeral was held on an inclement Sunday. Roughly around sixty attendees, all with expressions of great sorrow. A dreary mood hung in the air as rain pelted each black umbrella that protected people from unyielding drops. The coffin was a sleek black color and a framed picture was set up behind it. 

It captured a more lively and excited Artemis staring at everyone. Her grey eyes were full of hope and certainty as she held up her diploma victoriously in hand. The graduation cap atop her head was slowly off-centered as she smiled wide, proud of her accomplishments in high school. That was one of the few photos Paula wanted of her daughter to be displayed. 

And there laid the problem. Ember couldn't bear to sit with Paula or her own family, knowing what she knew and having to lie about it. Instead, she stood frozen underneath her dark umbrella on the outskirts of the large group, her claustrophobia kicking in. It was hard enough having to face the Team and lie to them, it was another to do it to her family. 

A shuddered breath escaped her once Artemis' coffin was six feet under thick, extremely wet dirt. Ember hated being in this position, and she hated it more that they forced Artemis into the position she was in now. As a double agent, she could work with Kaldur, however, she was now more susceptible to following his orders. 

But there was the slightest doubt that was implanted in Ember's mind. The slightest bit of unsureness concerning the Atlantean's true loyalty. He could easily be playing all of them, becoming a triple agent for his father. After all he had withstood, after all the struggles and realizations, why would Kaldur want to continue his journey as a hero? 

She never wanted to think of Kaldur in that way, the man was akin to her older brother. It hurt her head too much to overthink the situation, especially now that Artemis was involved. She hoped that if Kaldur were to do such a thing, his deep feelings for Artemis would be enough to stop him from making a huge mistake. 

Besides, she had other things on her mind. The first one being Dick's confession to her. She refused to think about that. But the second thing... Wally had decided to attend the funeral and saw right through Ember and Dick. Which ultimately meant that they had to tell the former speedster about their plan. 

That was a whole other problem. 

GOTHAM CITY

March 21, 13:02 EDT

"You sure you don't want me to head over? I'm an excellent buffer. My boss says it's a proven fact," Ember joked over the phone, listening to Oliver Queen and Roy Harper, the clone, chuckle in response. 

Oliver acknowledged, "Thanks, kid, but I think we've got it handled." 

She nodded just before Roy added, "But thanks for the offer. We'll keep you updated."

"Looking forward to it," she smiled, ending the conversation and taking a deep breath. 

Treading back to where she left the disabled woman, Ember felt the heaviness that had been weighing on her chest return. So as to avoid Paula Crock's somber face, the blonde bent down to the grave and placed the ribboned Dusky Crane's-Bill flowers in the grass. Ember read the gravestone over and over again. She couldn't possibly feel worse.