No One Understands Covert

BLÜDHAVEN, NEW JERSEY

April 8, 09:02 EDT

"Obviously, any partnership between The Reach and Lex Luthor is bad news," Nightwing divulged after the Team listened to G. Gordon Godfrey's spiel on television. He placed his hands on his hips and continued, "So, Alpha Squad is going undercover to recon Lexcorp Farms. Robin, you'll be running Alpha."

Robin looked genuinely surprised by the order, asking unsurely, "Me? Run Alpha?" 

A kind hand rested on his shoulder, causing him to look at Electra, who smiled assuringly. It was a relief to know he had someone's confidence in his abilities, even if, sometimes, he didn't fully have it. 

He recovered quickly, "Uh, right. Who's on the squad?"

"Blue Beetle-"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!" Blue exclaimed suddenly, waving his hands in disapproval. "I should not be in the field, ese. What if the scarab goes all Reach apocalypse on us?"

Nightwing stepped forward and rested a hand on the young hero, declaring, "The scarab has had multiple opportunities to betray us. It hasn't. And right now, its connection to the Reach may be our best shot at identifying what they're up to."

'There, Jaime Reyes. Listen to the Nightwing. His logic is flawless.'

As Beetle bowed his head, Impulse sped over, pointing out, "Well, if Blue's goin', I'm goin'!"

Nightwing grinned back, "I assumed as much. Shockwave..." The detective glanced over at the wide-eyed teenager standing beside Mal. "You'll be joining them."

The dark-haired kid looked unsurely between Nightwing and Electra, both adults nodding their heads in unison. Guess that meant he was good to go. 

"And last but not least, Arsenal." The original Speedy emerged from the shadows of the warehouse, clad in heavy gear and a shaved head. "But you'll have to travel lighter for your first mission. Nothing that won't fit under civilian clothes. Any questions?"

"Just one," commented Arsenal with crossed arms. "Why are we meeting in this dump?"

Electra patted Nightwing's shoulder, saying, "I'll field that." She stood almost shoulder-to-shoulder with her best friend, explaining to the newbie, "With the Cave and the Hall of Justice out of commission, this is the best place to utilize for now."

"Except the Watchtower."

Well, that came out of left field.

"It's national news now. You can't pretend it doesn't exist."

Nightwing clarified, the original Speedy slightly agitating him, "Only Justice Leaguers and senior members of the Team are authorized for the Watchtower. You don't qualify." 

Arsenal bit back venomously, "Good to know where we stand."

SMALLVILLE, KANSAS

April 8, 16:38 CDT

His first official covert mission - he couldn't believe it! Shockwave, dressed in civilian clothing, exited the tram alongside Robin and Blue Beetle. Impulse darted out from the backseat, catching up with them, a goofy smile on his face. Arsenal was last off the tram, and the five teenagers blended into the tour group.