Calamity

THE WATCHTOWER

June 20, 07:16 EDT

Electra was trying her best to keep her composure beside Nightwing. Trying was the keyword, and she was finding it very difficult to do so. The muscles in her shoulders were tensed as she folded her arms, keeping her face straight and solemn. She found herself leaning slightly to her left, closer to Nightwing than usual, something the detective noticed. 

"The natural disasters have escalated," informed Captain Atom, pulling up the holoscreen to show the others around him. "The rest of the League is spread thin, saving lives across the globe." 

Blue Beetle stepped forward, explaining, "It's Black Beetle's MFDs. The Magnetic Field Disrupters the Reach seeded at multiple locations across the Earth. They're causing a deterioration of the planet's magnetic field, which in turn is causing these not-so-natural disasters." His suit produced a small device at chest level that produced a hologram of Earth. 

"I can locate all the MFDs, but each is defended by beetle tech drones programmed to run interference until the MFD can build up enough steam to go chrysalis and end the world." 

Electra's brows furrowed down as she questioned, "Is there a way to shut them down?"

"I don't know," Blue replied honestly, the hologram disappearing. "Because Black Beetle didn't know. There's no failsafe. This was an endgame." 

"Incoming transmission from United Nations Secretary-General Tseng Dangun." 

A small screen appeared on the holo-computer between the images of the destruction happening around the world. Nightwing felt Electra tense further beside him as Lex Luthor appeared onscreen with the Secretary-General behind him. If Luthor was seeking an audience with the League, clearly something was wrong. 

Captain Atom shouted at the screen, "Luthor, what are you-"

"Secretary Tseng was kind enough to let me borrow his frequency, as I have a possible solution to our mutual problem." 

The Atom, perched on the Captain's shoulder, crossed his arms and reminded, "A problem created by you and the Light when they collaborated to bring the Reach to Earth."

Luthor remained stoic, informing the group, "Perhaps. But as I believe you know, the Light always planned to betray the Reach. Lexcorp has developed anti-Reach software, a virus that should disable their Magnetic Field Disrupters. Now, I believe that time is of the essence." 

Under her breath, Ember reminded, "You know he's only going to complicate things for us later, right?" 

"Yeah, no doubt about that," Nightwing sighed. 

METROPOLIS

June 20, 08:16 EDT

Thunder roared above as the combined gathering of Justice Leaguers, the Team, and some retired heroes listened to Captain Atom explaining the situation on the stage ahead of them. 

"Every single Magnetic Field Disruptor must be disabled before they chrysalis to guarantee Earth's safety. Each MFD is protected by multiple Beetle Tech Drones and each Drone is the equivalent of a Beetle warrior. Blue Beetle has located 21 MFDs around the world. There's 42 of us assembled here, so you'll be in squads of two."