Spoiler Alert

MOUNT JUSTICE

February 28, 10:07 EDT

Shockwave bounced beside Beast Boy and Robin through the Cave. The excitement for the day was almost overwhelming. He was ready to spend time with two of his peers, especially when it came to downtime. There was no training since Electra was away for the day and Nightwing was busy dealing with the gathered intel. 

The newer hero flinched when Robin ordered with frustration, "Calm down, Seth." 

Holding still, Shockwave took a deep breath to settle his nerves. 

"Why are you so excited?" questioned a curious Beast Boy beside him. 

Shockwave shrugged, "I don't have a lot of friends back home." 

The two watched Robin bow his head slightly in front of them before they entered the command room. In the center, Nightwing was alone, viewing the holograms in front of him with narrowed eyes and a determined expression. 

"Decryption completed," the computer voice stated monotonously. "Translation completed."

Robin inquired, stopping on the other side of the hologram, "Is that the Krolotean intel?"

"What Krolotean intel?" asked Beast Boy, tilting his head. 

"The data files M'gann and J'onn recovered on Malina Island before it was destroyed."

Gar lifted a finger, humming in response, "Noted."

Nightwing went on worriedly, "Apparently, the Kroloteans were snatching humans to use as guinea pigs. They were hoping to find something, something inside us."

"What?" 

"There's no English word for it. The nearest translation is metagene."

Shockwave's brows furrowed, wondering, "Uh, what the heck is a metagene?"

"Never met a gene I didn't like," Beast Boy joked, nudging Shockwave with a goofy smile on his face.

"WARNING!" the computer announced. "Unknown energy impulse detected."

Robin and Beast Boy whirled around, trying to find where the intrusion would be coming from when a ball of blue lightning crashed into the middle of the room. Electricity crackled as the four stood as far away to keep from getting injured. Nightwing held an arm out, ready to protect the three boys if necessary. 

Once the lightning had dissipated, a small machine collapsed in front of them, as if the energy impulse had carried it into the Cave. Billows of smoke emanated from the clunky piece of machinery. A clicking noise sounded and all eyes noticed the door unlock from the outside. Nightwing pulled out his Escrima sticks as Robin stood in defense position, bo-staff in hand. 

"Stand ready," Nightwing commanded, his grip tightening on his weapons while Beast Boy and Shockwave prepared to take on whatever was inside.

Now, to Shockwave, this whole deal would've been a lot cooler, if it wasn't for the dramatic grand entrance of a floppy-haired dude wearing an off-white and red costume with goggles exiting the machine. 

"Ta-da!" he exclaimed, bright green eyes evident behind his yellow-shaded goggles. 

"Intruder alert, intruder alert."

Nightwing demanded the automated voice,  "Computer, lockdown Cave."

"Well," Beast Boy started, eyes wide as he glanced at Nightwing. "I think we found our unknown energy impulse."