Showdown

BRENDA'S CAFE, BLÜDHAVEN

April 3, 19:20 EDT

2016

"Thank you, I'll be here all week."

Kyle and Dick groaned at the painfully terrible pun made moments prior while Ember still giggled over it. Despite everything happening around them with the Reach announcing their presence on Earth, the three friends had decided to scheme at their go-to place. It was one of the few normal things they could do with the way each of their lives worked.

The dark-haired artist sitting across from Dick and Ember had finished explaining to them the treaty between the Green Lantern Corps and the Reach. Due to the Reach's ambitions of conquering the galaxy, the Guardians sent the entire Corps after them. At their defeat, the Reach agreed to a peace treaty where they could not take a planet without an invitation.

What made it worse was the clause in the treaty. According to Kyle, no Green Lantern could interfere once the Reach had been invited to a planet nor return to said planet. That's when something clicked for the three friends. Kyle hadn't left Earth. There was still a Green Lantern in place that the Light or the Reach hadn't accounted for.

Which meant Kyle Rayner needed to lay low. Seeing as he couldn't interfere with the Reach's plans, it established the pressing need for evidence that they were not invited to Earth. It was impressive how the three had stumbled upon the loophole, but that just meant they needed to put in more effort to conceal Kyle's presence on Earth.

Unfortunately for Kyle, that also meant Nightwing keeping his Lantern ring in an impenetrable vault in the Batcave for the time being.

But for now, the three continued their dinner conversation.

"Wait, wait." Kyle held up a hand, confused by what the blonde was telling them. "He was just there when you turned the corner?"

"Yes. It was a little jarring, but he told me that there was a weapon design that coated bullets in a poison that simulated amnesia."

Widening their eyes, Dick and Kyle seemed concerned with the idea presented. She noticed their expressions, asking, "I mean, does he really think something like that is plausible?"

Kyle shrugged, commenting, "I think this guy will say anything for your attention."

"Obviously," she replied, rolling her eyes. "But the likelihood of something that extreme being created and manufactured..."

"I agree with Kyle. I think it's very plausible for Corden to think you're hot." Kyle laughed at the compliment while Ember glared at her best friend before Dick raised his hands, apologizing, "Sorry, that came off a little Wally."

Shaking her head, the blonde continued, "It's just weird, right?"

Kyle scoffed, sipping from his drink, "Come on, Em. You're being a little melodramatic."

The raven-haired vigilante across the way audibly groaned at the mistake as the blonde defended herself, "Oh please, I am not the melodramatic one. I distinctly remember the diner construct incident of 2012."

"Okay." Kyle raised his hands in surrender with wide eyes, suggesting, "Maybe we shouldn't bring that up."

"Too late, I'm bringing it up." She could see the shame and embarrassment on her friend's face. Jabbing a thumb at him, she relayed the tale to Dick as quietly as she could, "This guy designed a whole diner with his ring just so he could feel sad. He even included a waitress. Not to mention the creepy drawing of Batman I saw in the background."