Chapter Twelve - For The Rival Beyond The Smoke

Inside the Sunrise Residence, Tsubaki sits on his bed, deep in thought. He stares at his collection of vacation brochures spread across the room.

Tsubaki said to himself, "You know, I used to think you can never have too many holidays..."

Tsubaki's gaze shifts to a photo of him with Ema and Lisa, smiling brightly.

"But maybe... maybe I was wrong." He continued.

Tsubaki exits his bedroom and enters the living room where Ema is preparing to clean up her room. She's holding a broom and dustpan.

Ema turns to Tsubaki, "Hey, Tsubaki-san,

"Hey, what are you doing?"

"Oh, I'm going to clean up my room today."

Tsubaki hesitates for a moment, recalling his usual response in such situations.

"Well, you know what I'd usually say, right? Let's play together instead!" He smiled.

Ema looks surprised, but Tsubaki's smile fades, and his tone becomes more thoughtful.

"But today, Ema... could you do me a favour? Just call me if you ever need help with anything." He said softly.

Ema raises an eyebrow, intrigued by Tsubaki's change in attitude.

Ema was slightly puzzled, "Sure, Tsubaki-san. But why the sudden change?"

Tsubaki's eyes drift to a nearby photo of him and his triplet.

"I don't know, Ema. It's just... it feels like something Natsume would say." He said, still looking at the photo.

Ema nods in understanding and smiles.

"Alright, Tsubaki-san. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks."

Tsubaki watches as Ema gathers her cleaning supplies and heads for the door.

"Have fun cleaning, Imouto-chan!" He smirked.

"I will!" Ema laughed.

Ema waves goodbye, and Tsubaki watches her leave, content with his decision.

- - - - - FLASHBACK - - - - -

Back at the memorial event, the atmosphere is sombre as people disperse from the memorial event. Azusa, looking thoughtful, approaches Tsubaki and Natsume, standing in a quiet corner.

Azusa addressed the two seriously, "Hey, Tsubaki, Natsume, let's talk for a second."

They both nodded, Azusa's expression grave when they reached a quiet spot.

"You need to be careful, Tsubaki. Both yours and Natsume's actions shouldn't trouble Ema."

Tsubaki hesitates, torn between his feelings and Azusa's advice.

"I understand, Azusa. But being my usual playful self... it makes it hard for me to ask her out." Tsubaki struggled.

Azusa is empathetic but firm.

"You have to prioritize Ema's feelings, Tsubaki. It's not right if our actions hurt her. Look what happened to Lisa, I bet that's the reason why she was gone for seven months." Azusa said with a grim expression

"But if I hold back, everything I want to say might become meaningless." Tsubaki defended.

Azusa speaks, conveying the gravity of the situation.

"Tsubaki, crossing that line would be considered "cheating" on what we agreed upon," Azusa said sternly.

The weight of Azusa's words lingers in the air, leaving Tsubaki in contemplation of the difficult situation he finds himself in.